【Chapter Ten】

All during Tuesday, I was kind of nervous for some reason. By some reason, I mean that the reason is the fact that I didn't want to find out whether or not Butters was actually mad at me..  He couldn't really be too irritated with me, right? After all, I've never really seen Butters angry at anyone before so if he were to actually have ill feelings toward me after this then I'd be pretty surprised. The thought gave me a sort of confidence that actually began to drift away the closer it was to lunch, and when the bell rang for lunch I felt even more anxious. I lingered in my seat for a moment, just waiting for everyone else to pile outside before standing up myself and dragging my feet to the cafeteria.

Butters sat at one of the tables with his lunch sitting in front of him, a shy smile gracing his lips and his knuckles rubbing together in a sort of uncertain way. He was right across from a blonde boy who I vaguely recognized as that one kid that everyone hated. What was his name? Peter? Philly? Something with a 'P' is all I remembered, though I had thought he had died way back when so seeing him now served as a bit of shock to me. Maybe he had the same problem I did..

Hesitantly, I walked over with my shoulders squared and head held high. Butters must have saw me walking toward him, because now he was blushing and looking more awkward than ever while trying to avoid focusing all of his attention on me. At this sight, I mentally sighed. All of my previous courage had slipped right through my fingers sometime between leaving my last period and entering the cafeteria. Deciding to just go hang out with my friends - and Cartman - I made my way past the table Butters and that guy sat at, only to be stopped when I felt something tug at my sleeve.

I looked down to see Butters gently holding onto my coat, glancing up at me with the cutest expression I'd ever seen on anyone. I felt my entire body temperature start to heat up and felt an incredible urge to either take him right there in the middle of the cafeteria or just leave and avoid this entire situation.

Seeming like he finally grew some balls, Butters looked me in the eye and smiled wide. "Did you wanna sit w-with me and Pip?" Right, that was his name. Pip. I was pretty damn close if I do say so myself.

I glanced towards the table I usually sat at. Kyle and Cartman looked to be arguing over something, and Stan seemed to be losing his patience with the two. My eyes went back to Butters and a small smirk formed upon my lips. I nodded and sat down next to him.

"Good day, Kenneth!" smiled Pip. I stared at him for a moment before slightly jerking my head up in acknowledgement. Pip's smile seemed to widen at this, as if it was a rare thing for someone to look at him and not punch him in the face or something.

"Do you two know each other?" asked Butters, looking toward me in slight confusion. I just sort of shrugged and Pip laughed a little bit.  "Well.. A-anyway, how were your d-days so far?"

"Good, I guess.." I responded, not sure what to say. It was such a generic question, what else was I going to say? Go into complete detail about my thoughts on how worried I was that he'd hate me and how much of a terrible person I am for doing something so mean to him?

Pip nodded in agreement. "Mine was wonderful as well."

"That's great, fellas!" grinned Butters. "I'm h-having a pretty good day so far myself!"

"Oh? Why is that?" asked Pip. I looked at Butters whose grin only widened.

"Classified!" he responded, and I could have sworn I saw him wink.

I turned away, unable to take this anymore. "Shit," I mumbled to myself. He was being way too damn adorable at the moment and I wasn't quite sure how to deal with it.

"You alright, Ken?" Butters questioned, concern showing through his voice.

"Oh, uh, yeah.." I responded, regaining my composure. "I just wasn't expecting that.."

"Expecting what?" both Butters and Pip asked this time.

I blinked and stared at them for a moment before shaking my head. "Nothing, nothing.." this wasn't like me at all. Normally, I'd be so.. smooth. Flirting's my forte, it's basically what I'm alive for. You could say. So why were the words suddenly spilling out of my ears?

Butters giggled a little bit, then leaned closer to me. I stared at him, unsure as to what his intentions were. That is, until he pulled down my scarf and kissed me. My eyes widened at this, and the kiss ended as quickly as it started with Butters sitting back normally as if nothing happened. Okay, no, wait, something did happen dude.

"Y-you know," Butters said, poking at his food. "They sh-should really get something else t-to serve here."

"I think it's fine," shrugged Pip.

My mind was racing, especially with this one specific question.. Why was Pip not phased by what just happened?!?!? And when did Butters get brave enough to do something so fucking bold?!

Butters blinked and looked across the table to the other blonde. "R-really?! I never liked it."

"I'll take it over dirt," laughed Pip.

Okay, Kenny. You got this. You're cool with this. It's like with any other guy I'm trying to get with. Stop being such a pussy, Kenny. After a few more minutes of conversation between the two while I contemplated every action I've ever made with anyone in my past years of life, the bell sounded for us to get our lazy butts to next period.

We stood up, and I gently ran my fingers through Butters' hair and kissed his lips again. My scarf was still hanging low from earlier, so that wasn't a problem. Butters kissed back and I hadn't expected him to actually know what he was doing.. But damn was he doing it right. It was one of those sweet yet still passionate kisses that drove you crazy for more. But Butters soon broke it off and smiled coyly at me.

"I'll s-see you later, Ken!" he said, pecking me one last time on the lips before rushing out.

Soon it was only me and a select few others in the cafeteria, and I exhaled heavily in thought. Running my hand through my own hair, I pulled up my scarf and began to walk to my classroom.

■ ■ ■

When sixth period ended, I was the first one out the door in a rush to find Butters. I had eventually convinced myself that being my old flirty self would work, since it had all the other times with everyone else. It's just, I rarely ever flirted with Butters the times we hung out because I'd never once really seen him that way. He was always so.. innocent. I never even thought to shower him in my sins because he was a good friend and didn't deserve all the shit he's been through.

The thought made me start to hate myself even more, but I pushed the feeling away and smiled to myself when I saw Butters about to cross the street.

"Buttercup!" I called, waving my hands in the air. He turned around and smiled cheerfully at me. I ran to catch up with him and wrapped him into a big hug.

Butters laughed and hugged back. "Hey, Kenny!"

"Let's hang out," I said, nuzzling my nose into his hair with my arms still securely wrapped around him.

Butters tensed slightly in my embrace. "Gee, I-I'd love to.."

I groaned. "You can't seriously be grounded!"

"W-well.. You see, I came home late Saturday night.." Butters trailed off. "I can't even remember what it was I w-was doing.." I pulled away after hearing this. Saturday was the night I died, so it was all my fault he was grounded.. But knowing what usually happens after I come back..

"Let's go ask them," I said, putting my hands into my pockets. "If you don't mention it, then I bet they won't even remember." It was sad for me, but it was also true.

Butters gave me a slightly confused look before slowly nodding, "If you say so.."

So together we walked to his house, him thinking about who knows what and me determined to get him to fall in love with me. There was no way I was going to owe that bastard one hundred dollars, especially not since I could use every penny to get by.

Karen, I know I'm a piece of shit.. but you're lucky I look out for you so closely.