【Chapter Five】

The purple notebook was exactly where Butters had set it last, right under his pillow. It wasn't anything fancy, just plain purple. There hadn't even been Hello Kitty stickers on it, which was honestly something I was expecting to be there due to the fact that he actually really liked Hello Kitty.. But I guess I was wrong. I glanced back to the door, hanging open only a crack, and waited in silence for a moment. Voices could be heard from the dining room, so I figured they were still talking and turned back to the journal.

Property of Leopold, said the first page. I had nearly forgotten his first name wasn't Butters, and began to wonder why on earth everyone called him that in the first place.

The next page was dated January 1st of last year. I glanced back up at the door, becoming slightly nervous. This was Butters' diary, and if he caught me snooping around it there's no telling what he might do or say. It certainly wouldn't help his feelings for me. I took a deep breath and glanced at the writing.

Okay, well, hi there! I guess.. Um.. My name's Leopold Stotch, but people call me Butters! It's the first day of the year, if you couldn't already tell by the date.. Oh, geez, did that sound rude? Well, no matter. I thought that for my New Years resolution, I could  actually continue a journal.. I mean, I've tried to before but I could never really finish them! I always got sidetracked and then I worried about if anyone would read it or not!

Golly, I sure hope no one's reading this.

Well, it's too late to go back now. As Eric always says, I just have to grow some balls and man up!  Anywho, there's not much to say right now since school's still on break and whatnot. I only hang out with Eric and his pals occasionally, and rarely during a break! So, nothing's really gonna happen until it's over.. I just thought I'd start it now so I don't forget!

With love,

Butters.

I felt.. weird after reading this. Like I was completely invading his privacy (which I was, in fact, doing), yet I also wanted to chuckle a little bit. He sounded no different on paper than he did in real life and it was kind of cute.. I shook my head and began skimming through the pages for anything that could reveal his sexuality, but I didn't have time to look much further. Footsteps could be heard softly hitting against the floor and before I knew it, Butters was back in the room. I had just enough time to put the notebook back under his pillow, but not enough to sit back on the floor.

"Ken? What're you doing?" asked Butters, wearily.

I shook my head to stall for the half second that I needed. Whoever doesn't believe in the saying that every second counts is ridiculous, because that helped me grasp onto a lie a lot better than if I were to just sputter out nonsense the second after he spoke. "I was getting kind of uncomfortable on the floor, so I sat up here.. Sorry if you didn't want me to."

A look of relief flashed across his face but was quickly replaced with a small smile, "Of course you can sit there! Sorry I took so long, my folks wanted to know if you were staying for dinner!"

"Sure," I said, smiling a little bit.

"Great!" Butters exclaimed, looking ecstatic. "I'll go tell them. I won't be nearly as long this time, I promise!" he said before rushing out the door. Once he was gone I didn't hesitate to take his notebook again, this time opening it to the page dated for today. I had to be fast if I wanted to see what was going through his mind earlier.

So, remember how Kenny is coming over today? Well, he's supposed to show up soon and I have absolutely nothing for us to do! He's so cool, he'll probably hate me after today.. I guess I'll only have myself to blame, though. I'm so boring.

I still remember

That's where I must have arrived, because after that word nothing else was written. I sighed and slid it back under the pillow before falling into the mattress and staring up at the ceiling. The only thing I got from that entry was the fact that he had low self esteem, which was something I knew before reading it. I guess I'll just have to do things the hard way.  

"Hey-a, Kenny!" came Butters' sweet voice from the doorway. I sat up and looked over at him, offering an invisible smile to my friend. "Um.." he bit his lip softly and looked away from me and I couldn't help but wonder what it was he was thinking of. He walked up closer to me, staring at his feet and I decided the way I was going to figure out his sexuality. "I-I was thinking maybe we could go out f-for a walk or something?" he asked.

I stood up, looking at him. His cheeks were tinted a light pink and I decided that this could be my first sign - but it could also just as well be the fact that he's embarrassed over not having anything to do. I lowered my scarf so he could see my smile and then kissed his forehead. Pretty straight forward, right? Well, apparently not enough.

Though his blush deepened and a smile broke out onto his lips, he didn't act at all flustered by my actions which actually confused me. "I'll take that as a yes!" he giggled and I stared at him, speechless. He didn't look at all affected by my actions, aside from his flushed cheeks.

I furrowed my eyebrows and quickly covered my face with my scarf, nodding in response. What the hell was I doing?

"Well come on then!" he said, tugging at the sleeve of my jacket to get me to look back at him. "I w-wanna get out of the house."

"Okay.." I responded, following him out the door and onto the streets of South Park.

This wasn't working the way I had planned. He's supposed to be falling for me, stumbling over his own words and just all around lovestruck.. So why was it I seemed like the only one infatuated? Maybe I was going stir crazy. Maybe I really needed to go on this walk and get some fresh air.