【Chapter Twenty】

WARNING:
Mentions of child abuse but no explicit detail.

Once the both of us seemed to have calmed down, I wiped away the drops of immense emotion from my cheeks and cleared my throat. But I was weak from the crying, and both my jaw and eyes were tired by this point. "How?" I finally questioned.

That was when he explained to me what had happened, how it happened, and why it happened.. and then I saw red.

It turns out that after Butters had gotten home from his night with me, his mother and father were awaiting him at the porch steps. Because he had taken the car without permission and stayed out far too late, he was beaten by Linda and sent to his room for the rest of the night. The next day he had tried to explain to them his reason for being so rebellious; that it was for me and he was in love with me. His mother did not take kindly to it, and ended up shoving Butters into the car. When Mr. Stotch asked her what the hell she thought she was doing, she simply told him that she couldn't stand having two faggots in the family before speeding out of the driveway and down the road. He followed after her in his own car, and found out that she had driven both herself and Butters into the nearest lake for them to drown.

Upon hearing this I went home and thought of logical ways I could deal with this pain. The feeling of being alone. It was weird.. I'd always felt like no one could ever really understand or help me through something.. or be there for me in general. I'd always felt like nobody was there. But after having experienced someone actually being there for me, it feels so much more worse. Really, I feel ten times more alone. Especially now that I know I'll never see him again. Ever..

The funeral was going to be held tomorrow after school. I have no idea how many people will actually show up, because as far as I know Butters never really had any friends aside from Pip and I. Either way, I was definitely going to go. I could never leave him alone the same way I was left alone.. I'll even buy him flowers.

Deciding to go see what flowers people even sold, I got my money and headed out. There were a lot of flowers, but none seemed to compare to how amazing Butters himself was. It wasn't until after I had bought a bunch of random flowers - I didn't know what the fuck they were, I only bought the ones that didn't look beat up - that a thought occurred to me.

So, after gathering everything I needed from the store I walked over to Starks Pond. Before doing anything, I just stared at my reflection. I didn't look like myself. I looked like a shell of who I used to be, and I knew I needed to see Butters again. I had to. That thought in mind, I jumped into the freezing cold water and killed myself.

Now I stare Death straight in the eyes. Watching every expression on his scaly, soot-covered face. I'm depressed, and I won't take no for an answer.

"Bring me to Butters," I state, watching him carefully. The bouquet still was clenched tightly in my right hand.

He made a sort of smug look before poking at my forehead. "I can tell you right now that you're nowhere near him. That kid isn't in Hell."

"You're the only one I know who can actually take me up there. Do it," I say, feeling the emotions start to well up inside of me once again. My nose and throat burned. "Please," I finally begged, shedding a single tear and shocked by my weak, cracking voice.

"Hah! Who do you think I am?" he chuckled to himself before moving his nails to my eyes. "Goodbye."

I braced myself for the impalement, but it never came. In its place was the sound of a separate voice screaming, "Stop!" Both him and I turned at the sudden shriek. There, floating beside Lucifer's throne, was a young woman. She was almost glowing, but she looked nothing like an angel. She wasn't mesmerizingly beautiful, nor was she friendly-looking. "Leave that poor kid alone," she states as she crossed her arms and legs at the same time, still floating a good distance above the ground.

"What?" Lucifer scoffed.

"You've been toying with that poor boy his entire life!" she shouted. "Let him see Butters. Now."

His face turned grim and he faced her entirely. "You can't make me. You're just a good-for-nothing, unpaid s-"

"NOW!" she screamed, flying in his face and getting up close and personal with him. She looked pissed and he looked wary.

The two seemed to be reading the others' mind, and eventually Lucifer sighed heavily and turned to face me. "Never accept an employee willing to work for free," he muttered as he lifted one of his nails. "They'll be the end of you," he grumbled. She looked satisfied and before I could ask any further questions, Lucifer dug his entire hand through my chest. I wasn't sure how to deal with the pain, the sound of my own screams weren't letting me think straight.

All I knew was that I miss Butters. I need him.