【Chapter Seventeen】

*Kenny's P.O.V.*

To say that I was shocked for Butters to have found out my secret would be a severe understatement. Actually, it wasn't much of a secret, no one ever believes me when I try to explain to them that I can't die so I've stopped trying. But Butters found out; he was dead serious about this. I was, of course, completely and utterly confused as to how this he could have possibly realized..

"What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows and nearly dropping the groceries I had previously bought. "What're you.."

"You died that night. That's why I was gr-grounded!" He explained, taking out his notebook. "Look," he stated, handing it to me. I stared at him skeptically before looking down at the entry. It was the same one I had read over when we were hanging out at his place, only instead of continuing on from what he wrote there was a dashed line and some separate words.

It went like this;

I'm sorry I didn't continue.. He had arrived and I didn't have time.. But.. But I had to share something. He died. Kenny died, and it was all my fault. I'm such a useless human being.. I miss him so much already. The second I saw it happen, I knew he wasn't going to come back and I instantly felt so empty.. I love him so much. Kenny, I'm so sorry.

That was all it read. No 'Love, Butters,' no explicit detail as to what happened or how he was feeling. Just a simple apology letter to me, who was dead during the time this was written. I stared at it for an extra minute, noting that there was dried water stains on the page that implied he was crying pretty hard during the making of the entry. I finally looked back at him. "Yeah. I die a lot."

"I s-see.." Butters stated, taking my notebook back and holding it close to his chest. He hesitated before turning around. "I-I have to go home now.."

I blinked and took a step forward. "Hey, wait.." he froze. "Do you really love me?" He nodded and began to walk off again, so in order to catch up to him fast enough I had to actually drop my bags of food. "Butters," I called, wrapping my arms around him from behind and pulling him against me. He tensed up, but I refused to let go of him in fear he might just.. disappear forever. I held him tighter, now fearful that it might actually happen. "I do too," I told him.

"D-don't lie to me!" Butters exclaimed, breaking free from my grasp and pushing me gently. He gave me a stern look and tightened his grip on the purple notebook. "I don't need y-your stupid pity!" He was choking up and no doubt about to cry again. "You h-hate me," he explained. "You d-don't like me at all, remember?"

"I lied, Butters," I tried to tell him. He turned around and scurried back to his car. I caught up and grabbed his wrist, desperately wanting to explain everything to him. "It was a bet! Cartman and I made a deal that if I was able to break your heart within a certain time limit then I'd get a hundred dollars."

The blonde turned to face me, tears slowly slipping from his eyes. He blinked a few times and sniffled twice. "If y-you really were being honest.." he told me, "in saying that you love me too.. Oh, geez, Kenny, you wouldn't have m-made this bet in the first place!"

"Butters, you have to understand. It was during the time of me trying to get you fall in love with me that I realized I really liked you," I said, though I doubted that any of this was getting to him. "Butters.." I said, pulling him back and wrapping my arms around him in a hug. He broke down, completely sobbing, as he leaned against me and hugged me back.

"Kenny, I-I've liked you f-for such a long t-time," he stated between sobs.

"I know," I tell him, holding him close and resting my head on top of his. "I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry.. I really like you, too.." He continued to cry and weep until slowly, he pulled away from me. The notebook had dropped to the ground when he wrapped his arms around me and I bent down to pick it up fro him. "Are you okay?"

"Why would you do such a mean thing?" Butters asked, wiping at his eyes with furrowed eyebrows and a small frown.

I paused before taking his hand. Maybe if I showed him, he'd understand. "Will you spend the night with me?" I asked abruptly.

"Wh-what?!" He blinked, his face and eyes red as the tears were coming to an end. "I-I mean, I.." he paused, as if rethinking everything, before looking at his feet and nodding his head slowly. "O-okay.. If you'll l-let me.."

I smiled and gently took him back to my house. I picked up the groceries and led him inside where I was then jumped on by my little sister upon entering. Butters was smiling softly, but sniffling every once in a while. I could tell he was still heartbroken, and I didn't blame him one second.

"Welcome home, Kenny," said Karen, smiling brightly at me.

I, of course, grinned back and twirled her around before setting her to the floor. "Thanks, Karen. Butters is over again," I told him, as this wasn't the first time him and I have actually hung out at my house. Though that was a while ago, and my dad was less of an alcoholic back then than he is now, which was something pretty shocking if you asked me.

"Hi," Karen smiled over at him and Butters gave a weak half tug of the lips. You couldn't really even consider it a smile. "Will he be okay?" Karen suddenly asked me. I nodded and held up the groceries. Her eyes widened and she blinked in shock. "Is-is that..?"

"Yup! I went shopping, and now we've got dinner." I walked over to the kitchen with the other two trailing behind me. Butters was slightly confused while Karen was simply astonished. Pulling some eggs, milk, and a frozen lasagna out I put all of the items in the fridge aside from the lasagna; which I kept out with the full intention of cooking it.

"La-lasagn...." Karen furrowed her eyebrows and stared at the container for a good minute before I chuckled and ruffled her hair.

"Lasagna," I stated. She repeated the word and looked up at me. "You'll love it," I reassured her before popping it into the oven. She stared at me skeptically and when I looked back at Butters he seemed even more depressed than before.

■ ■ ■

"Now do you understand?" I asked once dinner was finished and Butters and I were cooped up in my room. We were laying down on my mattress, something I found some guy trying to throw away one day. Who would throw away a perfectly good mattress, anyway? Certainly not me.

Butters turned over and looked at me. "K-kind of.." He said, looking down and wrapping his arms around himself. I had one blanket, and it was fairly small. I had allowed for him to use it, but it only really covered his feet.

"Butters, please don't be mad.." I told him, moving closer. He tensed again.

"I-I certainly don't forgive you," he told me cautiously.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around him, pulling him close. He struggled for a half second before complying and wrapping his arms around me as well. It was much warmer this way, anyway. "Butters, I love you. I realized it a little too late.. I would have had to owe Cartman a hundred dollars, and I really can't afford that.." I explained.

He paused. "I can't believe you.. b-but I can at the same time!" he buried his face into my chest and groaned. "I just.. I guess i-it's because I like you so much.." I kissed his head and nodded. Butters shifted around for a moment before letting out a shaky breath.

"Good night, Butters," I said to him, running a hand through his hair and looking past him at the wall with a slight frown.

"G-Good night.. Kenny.." he whispered, though I could tell he was on the verge of another break down.

"I love you."

"I-I.. I love you, too..."