【Chapter Sixteen】

*Butters' P.O.V.*

Everything was shrouded in a thick layer of darkness. Had I not been so depressed, it would have frightened me a little bit. But as I sat in the car and stared out into the dark of the night, I realized that it wasn't much different than how I was feeling at that moment. Empty and dim. Depressed and alone. Out of the corners of my eyes I noticed Kenny had just walked out of the building - or more like stomped. He looked pissed about something, but the tears in my eyes were starting to cloud my vision and I had to cover my face in my hands while my shoulders shook. I was crying like a pathetic child.

Though it took me a while, I eventually calmed myself down. Tears still brimmed my eyes but were no longer sliding down my cheeks, so I took three deep breaths and started the car. I turned up the radio, thinking that maybe if I listened to a song. Music filled my eardrums and I frowned as I backed out of my parking spot. Of course the song playing just had to be a love song, most likely a sign telling me that everyone's romantic lives were better than mine. Needless to say I turned it off, and drove the rest of the way home in silence. I should have just stayed there, weeping to myself like the baby I was, rather than going home.

"Honey, is that you?" asked my mother from the living room once I had gotten home.

Glancing her way, I nodded. She was looking up from some book I've never seen before. "Yeah. I'm going to go up to my room."

"You're home late," she said sternly, standing up and setting aside her book. "Is there a reason for that?" she spat.

Even if I tried I don't think I could have helped myself. Just the thought of the previous events drove me into a corner of self-pity and I ended up bawling. My mother sighed and walked over to me, hugging me. "I'll let you off easy, okay? Just go to your room and get some rest."

To say the least, it felt weird being in her arms again. It's been so long since she's actually been so gentle toward me. She kissed my head and gently pushed me toward my room. I complied and walked inside, shutting the door behind me and dragging myself to my bed. I fell down and continued to cry until I took the notebook from under my pillow to relive some sort of memory. To go back to a place where I didn't think Kenny was so mean. In fact, I thought he was cool.. Amazing.

Flipping through the pages, I came across an entry from the day we were hanging out and I got grounded.. But I hadn't reread it since then, and the words in which I had written I didn't even remember jotting down. It stated that Kenny died that night. But if that were the case, he surely wouldn't be alive right now would he? No, of course not.. He'd be wherever you go in the afterlife, and I certainly never would have figured out how cruel he was. However, there was no mistaking it. This was my handwriting, and I wouldn't lie to myself like this.. I reread it three times before the memories slowly began flooding back. He had saved me from the bus, dying in the process.

"Th-that actually happened.." I whispered to myself in astonishment, eyes wide. I was barely able to believe it, but it made so much sense that it was terrifying..

Keeping the notebook close to me, I stood up and rushed to my door. This might be a terrible idea, but I wanted some sort of closure. I needed to hear from Kenny on whether or not this had actually happened.. But then again, I'm really steamed about what had just gone down. Well, more like depressed, but what's the difference? I know I couldn't see the difference with how mentally weak I was at the moment. Where would Kenny even be at this hour? Home? Wandering the streets? As I opened my bedroom door, I decided that I'd find out soon enough. With my notebook pushed against my chest and what I could only assume to be a determined expression, I walked out of the room and down the hall. I grabbed the keys just as my mom and dad spotted me. They were on the couch watching some sort of dramatic television show.

"Where are you going?" asked my mother, standing up from the sofa and making her way towards me. My father stood up as well but didn't advance my way. "You're supposed to be upstairs, young man."

"Oh, I-I have to.." I started, backing towards the door of the house.

"There's nothing more important than resting," my mother stated, coming towards me.

"I-I'll be back soon!" I shouted before turning around and running out of the house like the rebel I am. I could hear my mom running after me, so I quickly jumped into the car and locked all the doors. She started banging on the windows, screaming about how much trouble I would be in if I didn't come back inside at that very moment. With all the courage I had, I ignited the engine and sped off, nearly running over her toe in the process. "Oh golly, I'm such a terrible person," I muttered to myself as I sped down the road in the direction of where I remembered Kenny's house to be. I hadn't been there in so long, so it took me a while. When I did arrive, he was just about to walk into the house. "Kenny!" I called, stopping the car and hopping out. It took me a minute, though, because I had forgotten I locked the doors. "Kenny w-wait!" I called just before he grabbed the knob.

Upon hearing my voice, Kenny paused and slowly turned to face me. He looked confused and hurt at the same time and if I hadn't been so P.O.'d I would have actually wanted to hug him. That wasn't the case. I rushed over to him, taking a deep breath.

"Butters? What-"

"Have you died before?" I interrupted, rather rudely. But at that moment I didn't care if I was being mean. After all, I was already on a role for being such a bad teenager. No need to hold back now, right?