Chapter 10: The Coffee Shop

Aria's POV
I slid out of the house early Sunday morning as the rain poured down heavy upon my hooded rain coat. The need for coffee had hit me hard at around 6:34am this morning. Me, being the slave to caffiene I am, pulled on a pair of leggings and a large oversized sweater before grabbing my bright yellow rain coat and heading out. The rain had continued to seep through the roof a bit, but
The bucket I put down under the drips prevented the water from ruining the wood.

As I ran out to the rental car, the sky began to lighten to a dull grey as the rain relentlessly continued. I slid the keys into the ignition and pulled out of the dirt gravel driveway, heading toward town. The road into town was a long strip through the woodland areas, shielded by large great oak trees that covered the span of the intire road. The leaves were starting to change colors from the cold from a bright green to a yellowy orange.

As the town came into sight, the rain began to lighten enough for me to locate the coffee shoppe I had spotted earlier when I visited Pete's. I could just barely make out the little hole in the wall as I parallel parked my car. Something the lord himself must of graced because usually, it takes me half an hour to get my vehicle in a parallel slot.

I got out and locked the doors before quickly hurrying up the stairs and inside. Instantly, I was surrounded by warmth as the busy cafe engulfed me.

The coffee shoppe itself was beautiful. As you walked in, you could see the tables were positioned around the center of the cafe which was where the barista and the counter was located. I approached the young girl working the counter as she greeted me with a smile.

"What can I get for ya?" She asked.

"Coffee. Black, with a oinch of sugar." I replied, as my hand reached into my pocket to handher a $10 bill. She handed me the change before I took a seat by the window.

Staring out into the town now, on a Rainy Sunday Morning, everything looked different. It was gloomy, but not a sad gloomy, it was a gloom that fit this town so well.

I watched a water puddle slide down the window, as it raced another to reach the finish line, something I always used to do as a kid. I was so consumed by the small little task that i hadnt noticed the girl bring my coffe over, not until a voice cut through my concentration.

"Your coffee is going to get cold."

I glanced away from the window in time to see Chris slide into a seat across feom me. I chuckled slightly to myself.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Getting coffee." He answered matter-of-factly as he grabbed the coffee from my side of the table and took a sip.

"Its like you have a death wish." I hissed, grabbing th coffee back from his hands as I took a long drink.

"There's only one good coffee store in this very small town. The odds that we'd meet again the next day were very likely. But uts good, it means we can talk about our plan of action."

"What do you mean?" I asked, finally giving him my full attention. He was wearing a button down shirt cotton shirt that fit him well. The shirt relaxed aroumd his body yet clung to his muscles everytime he flexed his arm against the table.

"To open the upstairs door of course." Chris replied, him lips curving into a slight smile as he caught me staring at his biceps. I should have worn a low cut shirt of something.

"Were you able to get ahold of a locksmith?" I asked, looking away towards the window again.

"I called in to a friend last night, he said he'd be able to come take a look sometime this coming weekend. How does that sound?"

"Good." I nodded to him, taking another sip from the cup.

"Here is your pastry, sir." The girl smiled at him, pushing her hair further back to expose her cleavage as she slowly laid the plate down. Chris nodded in her direction before digging in. "Is there anything else I can get you?" She asked, completely ignoring my existence as she leaned further into his peripheral vision. He glanced up for what seemed like a fraction of a millesecond before shaking his head. You could practically feel the disappointment ra f iating off the poor girl as she slowly backed away.

"She was totally into you." I spoke in the best girly voice I could muster.

"Really?" He asked as he glanced up at me with a mouth full of pastry.

"Yep. You're old enough to be her father though." I joked as I took another sip of coffee.

"I already have a son, lets not talk about anymore children just yet." He joked back as he grabbed the cup of coffee out of my hands and took a long sip.