Chapter 14: Awkward Sunday Brunch pt. 2

Chris's POV

I stole glances back at Aria as we drove in silence. I just wanted to pull this fucking car off the side of the road and kiss her silly, ensuring her that she had nothing to be troubled about. I wasn't even sure what this was. All I knew is that I wanted to be with her. I wanted to show her so much love, but I wasn't sure how to go about it all. Hell, I wasn't even sure if she felt the same about me.

But I just couldn't handle how sweet she talked about Nick, and how energetic he got when he described how great of a teacher she was. I still wasn't completely sure what she was doing here, but I was beginning to care less and less as my need to have her increased.

I sighed to myself. This brunch couldn't end well.

~

We pulled into the parking lot some time later. The steak house was busy this time of day, mostly with families coming back from church. As we entered, the smell oh smoked ribs and barbecue sauce hit us.

"This is amazing." Aria commented as she took in the black wooden pallets and high end metal bar stools. The glass chandeliers went well with the dark wood undertones that made up the furniture. A young server made his way to the entrance of the establishment with a few menus in hand.

"Welcome to Red Eye Steakhouse, we're so happy for you two to be dining in with us today, how may I help you?" He asked, as he tried to keep eye contact with me but continued to steal glances at Aria. I soon noticed that every man and some women that walked by, also did the same. I'm not sure what came over me, but my hand slid itself around her small waist and I pulled her closer to me. She glanced up at me but said nothing as she watched me talk.

"Yes, we are supposed to be meeting two other people here tonight. The reservation should be under the name Lacey Claire." The server opened up a large folder that was propped up on the podium, then started looking for the name.

"Ah, yes, they arrived a few minute ago. Follow me." He nodded, leading us through the back of the restaurant. Aria shifted a bit closer to my side as we maneuvered through tables filled with people. My hand wrapped around her more securely and protectively.

The server lead us out into the patio deck area where more seats and tables were located. I located Lacey easily as I recognized the man she was with, as the man from earlier that week. "Lacey." I nodded to her. The man she was with stood up and stuck out his hand.

"I'm Steve." He nodded.

"Chris." I replied, refusing to pull my arm ways from Aria's side to shake his until Aria subtly elbowed me in my ribs. Reluctantly, I let my arm drop before going to shake his. I moved to pull out the seat for Aria, but she shook her head politely, pulling it out herself.

"So, who's this?" Lacey asked, directing the question to me, yet looking at Aria.

"I'm Aria, a friend of Chris's, it's nice to meet you." Aria spoke, nodding her head once formally. I'd never actually seen Aria this formal and polite before, it felt weird.

I liked it better when I could lay on the floor with her and talk about anything and everything. This Aria was giving off a lawyer vibe.

I didn't like it.

"I'm Lacey, nice to meet you." Lacey nodded, choosing to act a bit more civilized. "When did you and Chris meet? I haven't seen you around town."

"I actually just moved here from Los Angeles." She replied. I glanced over at her, she never mentioned that to me. No one moves from fucking L.A. To Maine unless something seriously bad happened.

"Well, this town must come as a huge shock to you, it's the complete opposite of L.A." Steve joked, setting his arm on Lacey's chair as he continued to blatantly stare at Aria.

"Yes, but it's nice. Big cities were never my think anyways." She nodded, pulling up the menu that the server had left at our table. Another server arrived shortly after, this time, it was a woman.

"Hello, I see we now have a full table, can I start everyone off with a round of drinks?" She asked, as she pulled out her notebook.

"Yes, I'll have a glass of Barefoot Moscato wine." Lacey started.

"I'll have a beer." Steve nodded.

"Cranberry juice for me." Aria nodded. I smiled slightly at her choice of drink before ordering one for myself.

"No wine?" Lacey asked, glancing up at Aria.

"I was never one for day drinking. I do often times come close, after dealing with elementary school kids all day." She commented, getting a light chuckle from Lacey and Steve.

"I know that feeling." Lacey smiled.

Lacey smiled.

I forgot just how long it had been since I had seen her smile.

Did Aria do that?

"It's okay. Your son, by the way, is such a beautiful child. You must be an amazing mother." Aria commented, smiley deeply as she glanced back at the menu. Lacey's dimples showed, as her cheeks heated up.

"T-thank you." Lacey nodded, as her eyes castes back down towards her menu.

"Jeez, what's taking this waiter so long." Steve commented a bit aggressively, ruining whatever moment Aria and her were having.

"We just put our drink orders in, give them a minute." Aria shot back politely but firm. Everyone looked over at her a tad bit taken back but I smiled, loving how little shit she took from people. Not even a moment later, the drinks were then set onto our tables and the orders were taken. I glanced up at Steve as he took it upon himself to order for Lacey. I could tell Aria tensed up as well from how controlling he was becoming, but she said nothing as as the food came and we ate.