Chapter 32: Negotiations

Jake Tulley, the very sexy asshole up above.

Aria's POV

"In order to get that practicing license, would you have to fly back out to California?" Chris asked me, as we walked hand-in-hand around the hospitals garden.

"Well, I would much rather like to avoid that entirely." I answered, gripping his hand tighter for reassurance.

"Me too." He sighed, as we neared the back entrance of the hospital. "So the alternative would be to call him."

"Yeah, I just texted my mom and asked her to forward the contact information to me." I nodded, pulling him further into me as we both decided to shimmy through the entrance of the hospital at the same time.

"Wow, you deleted his number?" Chris asked surprisingly.

"I was done, my love, completely done. If someone is cancerous to your life, you've got to cut out the cancer before it spreads. When I moved here, I started a new life for myself. I won't allow something as little as a phone call with with an ex, ruin that." I continuously reassured him, although I felt a competitive vibe start to flow through him.

Sometimes I forgot who it was, I was talking to.

"Did you want me to stay with you when you called?" Chris asked as he watched me pull out my phone in the vacant waiting room. I had felt it buzz in my pocket.

"It's okay." I nodded, pulling up his contact as Chris planted a soft kiss on my forehead before heading towards the elevators. My heart hammered against my chest as I stared at the text my mother had sent. I couldn't lie to myself, regardless of how much I tried. I didn't need my mom to send me this contact info.

I had that number engraved in my memory.

I sighed, hands shaking with anxiety while I slowly hit the call button before bringing the phone to my ear. I could feel my whole body start to go numb as I tried to get a grip on life when the I heard the first ring. Before it could ring again, the line was picked up.

"Aria?" Jake asked into the line, his voice uneasy while I did everything I could not to hang up the phone. "Aria?" He asked again. I realized I hadn't even answered him yet.

"Hi Jake." I croaked out awkwardly, finally taking a seat next to the rear entrance with my legs giving out.

"Hi... How are you?" He asked into the line. I could hear the lock of a door click on the other line before shades were closed. He was probably in his office right now.

"I'm good. I'm really good." I answered honestly, feeling my nerves start to recede as I slowed my breathing.

"T-That's good... I- I miss you." He said. For the first time in my life, I heard Jake Stan Tulley sound... Off. I'd never heard him mix up his words, or show any raw emotions before now. I sat silently at the end of the line as I tried to process the billions of emotions that were running through me, but I didn't have to think hard before answering him.

"I... Don't- miss you. I don't." I whispered back, trying desperately to sound put together and failing.

"I still have our wedding rings in my bedside table." He spoke honestly, his voice breaking off with emotion.

"I had a reason for calling." I replied, choosing to ignore what he just said. "I need my practicing license. I no longer want to work for your firm, I'm going to be an independent contractor."

"I can't do that." Jake answered, his business voice coming back almost instantly. That was the thing about Jake...

... His acting would put Johnny Depp to shame.

"Yes you can Jake, and you will. It was funny though, because a month ago, that whole wedding ring thing would've have me on the first flight back to L.A. Now? Not so much. I've built a life for myself here, Jake. A life that I'm so glad to say you're not apart of." I snapped back, whatever fear I once had was being replaced by the anger that was now coursing through me.

"Ari, I-"

"Don't call me that." I snapped. "Listen Jake, I meant for this conversation to be a civil one, but if you want me to take legal action against getting my license, I will. You may have forgotten, but I was a lawyer before you turned me into your prodigy. That license is mine, you do not legally own it and you cannot legally keep it, so ship it to my mother's address." I deadpanned, feeling whatever feelings that might have arisen for this guy, quickly get choked down by the anger.

"I may not be able to hold it, but I would have to look for not only that but your contract. It could take a while." He answered, his voice now fully business. It was the voice he had, when he knew he was about to close a deal.

"What do you want, Jake?" My voice grew agitated as I approached the end of my rope.

"Tell me where you are and I'll bring everything over." He replied simply, ignoring my agitation.

"Wow Jake." I laughed, my voice changing to something hysterical, "Jake Tulley. It's funny, for a split second there, I thought you had actually changed. No, you've actually surpassed the level of scum. Who knew you had it in you to hold up a prominent abuse case, for your own self interest!"

The line at the other end was quiet for some time. "This-This is my finally offer Aria. I need to see you one more time."

I scoffed again. "There's nothing you can say now, Jake. You don't have that hold on me. Because of how deeply this case means to me, I'll text you the address. Understand, Jake, if you're coming here with any other intent than to give me my practicing license, you've got another thing coming." I threatened, my voice going dangerously slow.

Before Jake could say anything more, I immediately ended the call. No second thoughts went into it as I blocked his number.

I noticed Chris heading back down the hallway towards me. His face studied me intently. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"It's Jake..." I sighed, standing up to meet him half way as I slid my phone back in my pocket, "He's coming to Maine."