Chapter One

Rain fell from the dark sky and lightning flashed, allowing very few light for anyone to see a thing. Miyuki was tired from crying and she just wanted to get away from everything. She already felt so weak and tired; she just wanted to give up. Her parents had just died, what was she going to do now? She tried to hurry down the narrow path through the trees, but tears blinded her vision and she couldn't see very well. There hadn't been any houses for miles, and she didn't think she would find one. Not here, anyway. It was in the middle of the woods... who would live here? A crazy cannibal? Miyuki gulped. She felt like something would lunge at her through the trees at any moment, but nothing happened. Miyuki was only in her shorts and a tank top with a leather jacket. She never thought it would rain because when she woke up, it was beautiful outside. The sun was shining and birds were singing, but things always change. Like when Miyuki's father went into the military because he had been a state alchemist and the military had shot him. But why? That's what Miyuki wanted to know. He was a strong and brave man! Who would want to murder him? She'd show them! She would practice alchemy and swear revenge on them! That's what she decided.

     Miyuki had been trying her hardest to ignore the rain until she was soaking wet and the thunder rumbled hungrily in the clouds. She flinched when a flash of lightning lit up the whole sky and she heard a tree fall in the woods. Miyuki was afraid. She needed shelter or she could get hurt. She started to run faster and faster until she could finally let out a huge breath of relief because she spotted an old house with smoke coming out of the chimney. She ran towards the house and almost collapsed when she got to the doorstep. The storm was beginning to become stronger and wind whipped at her face and rattled the house. She knocked tiredly and heard footsteps after a moment. Gentle footsteps. Seconds later, an old woman opened the door. "Oh, dear!" she exclaimed. "Come in, sweetie! You need shelter from the storm! Just look at you, you're soaked!"

     The old woman grabbed Miyuki's wrist and pulled her into the safety of the home, closing the door behind her. Miyuki glanced over and saw a shape, but the old woman grabbed her and led her to the bathroom. "I'll get you some dry clothes." the old woman rasped. She hobbled off. Miyuki tilted her head. What was that shape? A human? Or was her mind playing tricks on her?

     The old woman came back with a towel and a nightgown. "Do you need to call your parents and tell them you got shelter from the storm?" she asked. "My parents are dead." Miyuki said quietly, staring down at her soaked shoes. The old woman was quiet for a moment. "You need to change into that nightgown and then come back out here. I also have some boys who took shelter from the storm. You might want to meet them." she said. The old woman walked out of the room and disappeared from Miyuki's sight. She sighed and grabbed the towel, drying her wet, purple hair.

     She changed quickly and then shivered. She took her wet clothes and laid them over the bathtub, and then opened the bathroom door and walked out. "So who are these boys, miss?" she asked when she spotted the woman. She limped out of the kitchen slowly and said, "They're sitting on the sofa there, child."

     The old woman smiled. "Just call me Aoife." she said. Miyuki nodded and the old woman hobbled back into the kitchen, took a seat at a table, and sipped on a cup of tea. Miyuki could still hear the storm raging outside. She trembled and slowly walked into the living room, taking a seat on the other sofa. She saw the two boys; one had long blonde hair, and the other was... wearing a suit of armor?

      "Hello." Miyuki said when the boy with blonde hair looked at her. "Hey." he said. "My name is Miyuki. What's yours?" she asked. She didn't bring up the suit of armor - she was afraid to ask. The boy looked up once again with a smile and answered. "My name is Edward Elric and my brother's name is Alphonse, but you can just call us Ed and Al. Also, Alphonse stays in this suit all the time, so don't worry about it."

     Miyuki tried to think of something to say. "So where are you going tomorrow morning - well, I suppose you're leaving in the morning, right?" she asked awkwardly. "Probably Central." he replied, glancing up. Al turned to looked at his brother, then back to Miyuki. "Um, do you think I could go with you guys?" she asked shyly. "Why not go home to your parents?" Ed asked. "They're dead. They were killed by the state military. I hate them!" Miyuki exclaimed. She was taken aback by her own sudden outburst. "I'm sorry." she muttered. Ed and Al exchanged odd glances. "I'm a state alchemist..." Ed said quietly.

     Miyuki was shocked. She stood up and walked towards the door. "Don't go out there, you could get hurt!" Ed exclaimed. She walked out of the house anyway - she just wanted to be alone. She knew Ed and Al had followed her outside, but she didn't care. She hated Edward. She didn't care if they had just met. She knew it was wrong to hate someone just because they belonged to the same state military that killed her parents. Edward hadn't killed her parents - he hadn't even known about it. But she didn't care.

     Then she ran and ran until she had to stop and catch her breath. "Well, well. What are you doing out in this storm, miss?" a voice asked from in the shadows. Miyuki looked up and her heart began to race. She was frightened. Even though she could still heard Ed's screams, including Al's this time, too, she was more focused on the shadow that stepped in front of her. "Miyuki's your name, right?" the voice pressed. Miyuki shakily nodded, backing away. "I'm Envy. I can help you get away from those boys if you'd like." it said. The shadow now stood clearly in front of Miyuki. It was a boy with green hair. "Miyuki, don't get close to him!" Ed shouted. They were catching up to her. Miyuki looked behind her, huffing, then looked at Envy. "Take me away from them."

     Smirking, Envy grabbed Miyuki and pulled her into a tree. Ed and Al tried climbing up, but Envy jumped down on top of them. Miyuki watched as Ed, Al, and Envy scrambled their feet and began to fight. Miyuki almost fell out of the tree when her mind flashed with her parents' death. Her eyes welled up with tears, but she blinked them away. She wanted to be an alchemist. She wanted to show the ones who had killed her parents that she could be better than them, that she was a force that couldn't be reckoned with. Miyuki watched the fight and Edward had pinned Envy down. Miyuki narrowed her eyes and jumped down. She felt a little dizzy but she tackled Edward. He pushed her off and Al grabbed her from behind. "What do you think you're doing? Envy is a terrible person - not even a person at that! Are you crazy?" Edward exclaimed. She didn't know what happened next, but everything turned black.

     Miyuki blinked open her tired, purple eyes and looked up at the ceiling. She tilted her head over to see Ed sleeping. "You idiot." she murmured, closing her eyes for a moment. She opened them again. "I'll just run away again." She stepped out of the small bed and walked towards the door, her head sore. Before she had a chance to get out, something grabbed her hand and she turned around. It was Ed. "Leave me alone!" she shouted, breaking away from his grip. She ran out of the room and out of the house. She looked around. Where was she? She saw people walking around the crowded street and then she realized. Edward and Alphonse had brought her to Central.