Chapter Five

"A-Alphonse...?" Leaping to their feet, Miyuki and Al glanced toward the voice. Edward. He had a scornful, hateful expression on his face. Running forward, Ed headed straight for Miyuki. "Brother, stop!" Alphonse jumped in front of Miyuki. Hands grabbed her from behind and she was pulled into the lake. She fell under and came back up, spitting up water and gasping. "I knew you liked one of them," a voice whispered, "It's Alphonse." Trembling with coldness, Miyuki looked up. "Miki, you bastard!" Miyuki screamed, pushing her under the water. "Brother!" Alphonse was shouting, "Leave her alone! Her hatred for you is only because you're a state alchemist! She wants to be your friend but-" Al was cut off by another scream and a splash into the water. "You bastard." A voice growled and Miyuki was pushed into the water when Miki came up. Before she closed her eyes, she saw Ed's guilty face and the last shrill scream that echoed in the night, "Edward, no! She'll die!-"

"Wake up, wake up, wake up please." Miyuki blinked open her tired eyes at once. "Where am I?" Her voice was dry. "You... were pulled into th-" Miyuki sat up straight and stared into the eyes of Winry. "That asshole. Where the fuck is he!?" Miyuki shouted. "He went into town. Al, Ed, and Miki are all sorry." Winry explained sadly. "Well I'm done with this bullshit. I'm going back to Resembool!" Miyuki jumped out of bed and slipped on her tennie shoes. "No, you can't go back!" Winry begged. "I'm sorry." Miyuki ran out of the door and out of the small house. "I have to make it to the train station by noon." She muttered, her legs picking up speed.

Miyuki raced past stores and small houses towards the train station. Quievering as she passed the military building, she gulped. Feeling slightly hungry, she began to run faster and faster until she reached the train station. Sighing, she sat down on a bench a waited for the next train. "Hello, miss!" A soft boy's voice startled Miyuki. Turning, she saw a boy about her age, smiling. "Oh, hi." Miyuki sighed. "Something wrong?" The boy asked. "No." Miyuki replied, turning away.

When the train horn struck, Miyuki leaped to her feet and walked over to the line of people. Smiling fakely, she hopped in. When the doors were about to close, something grabbed her shoulders and the train left it's station. Shakingly, she realized someone was hugging her. "Please don't go." He was whispering. "Please." Another voice inturrupted. "I enjoy you hating us." He said. "Edward, just leave me alone." Miyuki grumbled, slapping him. Ed smiled and Miyuki began walking away. Miki ran after her. "Wanna play a game!?" She cheered. "NO, MIKI!" Miyuki screamed, running quickly.

Miyuki walked towards a small part in the woods when the sun began going down. Her stomach rumbled and she realized she'd have to go to sleep hungrily tonight. Sighing, she sat down on some moss and laid down. She didn't care about getting dirty, she was used to it. "I hate you." Miyuki murmured when Edward popped into her mind. "Always and forever, I hate you Edward Elric." Closing her eyes, she fell into a deep sleep.

When Miyuki awoke, the sun blinded her eyes. Wincing, she sat up and rubbed her sleepy eyes. Her backed hurt. Probably because she hadn't slept on a bed in a while. Gasping, she realized she could go back home on live on her own. With a frown, she realized the military had burned her house to the ground. She wiggled uncomfortably in her bed of moss. She sat up stubbornly, but managed to gain her balance and she began treading through the woods. Winry was a good friend - and over-protective friend at that - who cared about others, not just herself. Smiling, she remembered Winry's happy face to finally meet the famous Miyuki Tanaka the boys had been talking about.

Miyuki walked into town, stretching her arms and legs as she walked. She looked around for any food. "Hey, I'll pay if you're hungry." Jumping, Miyuki turned to see Winry smiling at her. "T-thanks, Winry. I am pretty hungry." Miyuki said shyly. "Are you ok?" Winry asked. "Yeah. Why?" Miyuki tilted her head. "Because of the accident at the lake." Winry explained, staring at the ground. "Yeah, I'm fine." Miyuki giggled, tugging on Winry's arm. "We'll be good friends." Miyuki said aloud with a smile.

After breakfast, Miyuki thanked Winry for paying and they went their seperate ways. Winry said she had to go somehwere with Miki, and Miyuki, well, she rarely ever did anything. Miyuki leaned against a wall, as she stared at the shops and people around her. She wished she had some money. But she had none, and she had to borrow clothes and shoes from other people! She felt like she didn't fit in. Her stomach grumbled slighty after being fed. Smiling, Miyuki began walking again.

Miyuki was tired and uneasy about walking back to the lake. It wasn't that close, you know. It was suprisingly a bit far from the busy streets of Central. She forgot when her tutor was coming, and she asked herself if she should go get more information from Mustang. Then she remembered saying Alphonse and his brother had recieved something from Mustang. Sighing, she managed to walk farther. Miyuki looked at the state military building and shrugged. "I can ask him tomorrow, even if I don't want to go in that hellhole."

Humming her favorite song, Miyuki found her way back to the lake. Stopping, she saw Alphonse and Edward. Quickly, she hid behind a tree and listened to their conversation. "...mean to push her in the river!" Ed was saying. "I know brother." Alphonse sighed. "I guess we can leave now. I'm sure that girl won't be coming back to the lake tonight anyway. No use in waiting for her." Ed pulled on his cape thing and stood up. Sighing, Miyuki waited for them to leave.