Chapter Eight

Miyuki awoke from her dream, crying softly. "Miyuki? Miyuki!? Are you alright!?" Winry burst into the room and flipped on the light. "I-I'm fine, Winry. It was nothing but a bad dream." Miyuki explained, wiping her eyes. "Alright then. Go back to bed, it's only midnight." Winry sighed. Miyuki nodded and Winry left the room, turning off the lightswitch behind her. Miyuki rolled over towards the wall with a sniffle. The dream wasn't just a nightmare, it was her past - mixed with alchemy. Alchemy, alchemy, everything was about alchemy! Miyuki growled frustratingly, but calmed down once more. Her training started tomorrow. Alchemy training.

Sakura waited at the front desk when Miyuki arrived, groggily from sleep. "Ya tired?" Sakura asked, not bothering to glance up from her book. "Yeah." Miyuki sighed, "I had a bad dream last night, that's all." She walked over to the front desk and looked over Sakura's shoulders. "The Philosper's Stone, huh?" Miyuki asked, startling Sakura. "Yup. Been doin' a bit of research on it." Sakura replied, closing her book. "What is the Philosopher's Stone?" Miyuki sat down in a wooden chair and rested her chin on her knuckles. "It's just a stone that apparently holds great power. But you, young'en, don't need to learn 'bout it just yet." Sakura replied, yawning.

"I see, miss." Miyuki scratched her head embaressingly. Sakura stood up and walked over to the door. "Let's get down to buisness, alright? Ya ready to start workin'?" She asked, chuckling. "Yep! Ready!" Miyuki giggled, racing over to her own personal desk as Sakura flipped the sign. Immediantly, a man rounded the corner and opened the door. "I've been waiting for this ole' library to open." He grinned, walking over to Miyuki. "So dear, where's the book on the Philosopher's Stone, eh?" He asked suspiciously.

"Envy it's you! Get the hell away from that girl!" Sakura inturuppted the man's grin, and Miyuki fell out of her chair. "How the hell did you know?" The man asked, suddenly turning into the famaliar boy Miyuki had seen back in Resembool. "You followed me to Resembool - No! You followed Ed and Alphonse!" Miyuki whispered under her breath, glaring at Envy. The boy swung around and grinned. "Nice to see you again, girl." He laughed. Sakura's hands suddenly glowed a bright blue, and Miyuki was stunned. "Alchemy," Sakura said to Miyuki without taking her eyes off Envy, "Even old ladies can do it."

"Now run, get out of here now." Sakura hissed, glancing at Miyuki. Nodding, Miyuki leaped to her feet and burst out of the library, only to be caught by cold hands. She turned, only to see a young woman with black, curly hair and a big guy with drool dripping from his mouth. "Come, we'll lead you to safety." The woman gasped. Miyuki narrowed her eyes. "I'm no fool, you're homunculi, like Ed said." She growled. The big guy frowned, "Lust, Lust..." He tugged on the woman's arm. The young woman jerked down to look at her partner. "What is it, Gluttony!?" She sighed. "Can I eat her?" Miyuki guessed the big guy's name was Gluttony. Well duh, Yuki!"Miyuki shouted in her head. Lust, who was the woman, looked at Miyuki, then back to Gluttony. "Go ahead, she's useless anyway." Lust smiled darkly.

"I don't think so!" A male's voice shouted from behind Miyuki. "She's just an innocent girl." It finished. Miyuki fell back when Ed landed in front of her. Where's Al? She wondered. Ed looked back at Miyuki with a grin and suddenly Edward clapped his hands and a big blue light glowed, just like Sakura's. "You're good at alchemy." Miyuki muttered with a smile. "Indeed he his, now let's get you out of here." A voice chuckled form behind her. Her arm was grabbed by a rough type of metal, or so it felt like it, and she was being dragged the next minute.

The metal hand suddenly lifted her on the back of armor and Miyuki smiled happily. "Thank you, Alphonse." She murmured, closing her eyes in grief. She didn't know if she would ever realize to think this thought, but it was nagging at her in the back of her mind. Everything that's happened, it.. it was all my fault wasn't it? "Myuki, are you alright?" My fault, right? "Miyuki!?" All me. The doings were all me. "Miyuki, listen to me!" Me... Miyuki suddenly felt herself black-out, she didn't know if it was because of Alphonse or something else, but the thoughts still rang in her empty head. Me...

"Miyuki, wake up, wake up!" A voice was shouting. "Brother, is she dead!?" The voice asked frighteningly. "No, I'm not." Miyuki said before Ed could reply. She blinked open her tired eyes and turned to look at Alphonse and Edward. "What the hell happened?" She asked, her stomach growling. "I don't know! You just blacked-out!" Alphonse freaked out. "Al, calm down. She's fine." Edward soothed, sighing. Miyuki sat up from her back aching. "Edward, can I ask you something?" Miyuki asked, blinking away tears. Edward walked over and sat beside Miyuki on an old chair while Al waited patiently. "Of course, Yuki, anything."

"Did you know anyone named Isamu Tanaka?" Miyuki asked, fiddling with her fingers. "Actually I do.." Edward thought for a moment. "I suppose I met him in the military a long time ago." He finished. "Isamu. Isamu....Yes, he was a state alchemist." Edward replied, blinking. "Why?" Ed asked as Alphonse walked over. "B-Because...That was my.." Miyuki sighed, "My father. Do you know what happened to him?" She looked up at Edward hopefully. "No, I don't. Mind telling us?" Edward frowned. "Well," Miyuki began, glancing around. "He was murdered by state alchemist in front of my eyes. They went behind my father's back, that's why I don't trust the state military. They also killed my mother. So I had went on a train to go to Resembool to look for my grandmother. When I got to her house, I noticed she had died, too. Died of illness and I had not been there for her."

Alphonse was shocked and so was Ed. "That's what happened? That's why you hate the military? That's horrible, but you'll be fine with me. You trust me, right?" Edward asked, gritting his teeth. Instead of anwsering, Miyuki just rolled to the other side of the bed. "You aren't going to anwser me, are you?" Ed whispered. "No." Miyuki said honestly, "I won't until I can anwser that question honestly." Miyuki replied sadly. "I understand well, miss Yuki." Edward stood up and turned to leave. "Come on Alphonse, let's leave her in peace." Edward sighed, "We have things to do."

"Wait, don't leave me." Miyuki muttered, rolling over. "What?" Edward turned around as if stunned by Miyuki's odd behavior. "I'm scared." Miyuki gulped down her honestly, "I am." She stammered. "Stay with me until I fall asleep. Then you can go." She whispered, frowning. "Fine." Edward said. "No brother, I'll stay with her. You go meet Mustang alone. I'm not a state alchemist anyway." Alphonse muttered. "But Al-" Ed started. "Go, brother." Alphonse demanded. "Fine, if that's what you want." Edward left the room and Alphonse let out a sigh and went over to Miyuki and sat beside the bed on the floor.

"Why didn't you want to go with Edward? I-It would have been fine.." Miyuki's eyes watered. "No, it's fine. He's fine on his own." Alphonse protested. "O-okay." Miyuki pulled the covers up to her chin. She rolled over and let out a sigh. "Al I want to tell you something." Miyuki said. "Go ahead." Al murmured. "I want to thank you. Ed also. Even though I tease you and him alot, I care about you guys. I feel guilty about all I said. But - Calling Ed small was pretty funny. And Miki and Winry also helped me through everything. I love all of you guys. You're all my friends." Miyuki smiled.