Chapter 3: Party

I nervously placed my keys on the counter and wiped my hands on my shirt.

"Melissa? Oh, thank god you're back." I heard mom's relieved voice before I took in her appearance.

"Where are you going?" I asked glancing at her full length red gown. It has a sweetheart neckline and her neck is delicately decorated with a plain white pearl necklace but her make up seemed unfinished.
"Mom- make up, dress and then hair. You look great, by the way." I corrected, rolling my eyes.

"Thank you, Melissa. We have to go to an event." She said apologetically, seemingly ignoring my first comment. Her face already turning into one that was used only to get me into something unwanted. "You are invited." She lowly added.

"You know how much I hate these overrated parties, mom." I said, groaning. These parties were held for the society to look down upon the failure of some others. Many gossiped of the recent break ups while the others commented on the on-goers choice of clothing. An evening of fake smiles and pseudo good wishes.

"We have to go, Jake is going to be there." She persuaded me. "Hopefully. " She added in a small voice knowing the small possibility of her suggestion.

"Mom, I do not wish to go. Jake can handle himself." I muttered in utter displeasure.

"Melissa, there is clearly no time left, go get ready. " Mom's voice turned into a stern command. I sent one annoyed glare her way but I knew she had won the battle.
Mumbling incoherent sentences under my breath I walked to my room. I hate dressing up for a high class party, it only extended the hours of torture as you meet people who continuously congratulate you for the beauty you behold.

My parents being well renowned in this industry I cannot expect anything different.

We tend to attend all these parties and most require the presence of their daughter- me. The sons are also supposed to go to the parties but they are mostly out partying or enjoying their life. Sexist society norms.

Not that I didn't have a life; I did. But I was always expected to be there, feeding the gossip.
I was just pushing the clothes in my closet from one side to another when my phone beeped, indicating that I had just received a message.

Hey, you coming today?
- Jake.

I stared at the words for a while then typed back a half hearted yes and continued my way through getting ready for the party night.

I picked up a black floor length A-line gown with sequence covering it's bodice and a pair of black strappy heels.

I pinned up my hair into a neat bun and started with my make up. All these events called for me to put on heavy makeup, forcing my hand to apply a maroon lipstick and a thick layer of mascara. You'd think a council of old people would understand the hazards of applying too much product on one's face.

"Melissa! Are you ready?" Dad called out from the living room. He was a man who was always on time, everything calculated and accounted for.
"Just a minute, dad." I replied standing on my feet and making my way down the stairs.

"You look beautiful, honey." He complimented me as I reached the bottom of the stairs.
The car ride was quiet till I remembered about the trip and my actual reason for uneasiness.

"Mom-Dad, actually, I had something to ask you." I fiddled with my fingers, I knew they wouldn't say no, they never did but I was still nervous. An instinct, I suppose.

"Go on, what is it?"

"Well, the school is planning to take us to a nature's camp a few days later. I have the pamphlet and forms at home for you to take a look at; nothing extravagant. Can I go?" I crossed my fingers and analysed their faces.

"Sure, I thing it's very important for the coming generation to learn a few things or two." Dad said making mom nod her head is complete agreement.
"Thank you!" I squeaked in excitement, hugging them.

"Wait, no boys, right?" Dad questioned, his fatherly concerns showing face.

"Obviously there are boys, Robert! Let the girl live." My mom chuckled, saving me an awkward yes or no question-answer session with dad.
Before he could say anything more, the driver informed us of our arrival and we got down on the clean red carpet of the Le Demore Palace. The lights shined bright against the night sky and many famous entities walked in with their families.

The party was at full swing as people exchanged greetings. My parents immediately vanished into the crowd while I searched for Jake.
His phone was conveniently switched off making it impossible for me to communicate with him in this loud party.

After an hour of drinking mocktails and keeping at eye on every guy in a suit, I got bored and the excellent notion of announcing on the mic about my lost best friend came to my mind, though, that would be considered extremely out of place in an esteemed party such as this one. What was surprising was, though Jake wasn't here, his parents were standing right beside my dad having a hearty laugh.

I saw my mother move to a smaller group of ladies as compared to before and made a move to walk up to her. I had spent way too much time avoiding a few people that I actually knew in this place. 
I placed the drink in my hand on the counter and got of the chair. But while I was looking down to see if my gown was not strangling my heels, someone rammed into me.

Letting out a small gasp I squeezed my eyes closed, as my hand looked for something to steady my form. I took hold of what could only be a tie and worked on keeping myself up.

After not feeling the floor against my back, I opened my eyes to stare into icy blue ones. It was none other than Vince D. Montero, the terror of Western High. His arms were around my waist and eyebrows lifted at my hard hold on his blue tie.

"Thank you." I muttered he made sure I was on my feet again, as I fixed his tie with a small pat. His arms left my waist, I felt myself missing his touch which ironically screamed security. What a laugh everyone would have if I were to say this out loud.
For a guy who doesn't associate with other humans much, he looked to be holding himself up perfectly.

"Look up and walk the next time, will you?" He stated with a scowl on his face. Spoke to soon, didn't I?

"Jinx." He mumbled under his breath.
Before I could come up with a reply of my own he walked past me not sparing me a second glance, somehow that seemed to affect me.

Even through his obnoxious attitude, one couldn't deny his perfect looks.
He was wearing a navy blue tuxedo with a sparkling white shirt and a blue tie. While his dress code screamed gentleman, his lip ring and peeping tattoos added a dangerous edge to it. His jet black hair was pushed back making his jawline look strikingly admirable. Everything about him drew a person in, the mystery he so gracefully carries.

Curiosity killed the cat, wasn't it?

Another question still stood, why was he in a place like this?

"While it is interesting to see you stare at Montero, I was hoping to get some attention too, gorgeous." I recognised the voice immediately, turning with an annoyed look on my face.

"Don't you think that showering me with compliments will let you loose for ditching me for hours." Jake was dressed in a black suit and a dark purple shirt with a black tie. He looked handsome, as always.

"I got caught up." He stated with a lopsided smile. I knew that look almost immediately.

"You were screwing a girl while I got bored out of my wits?" I narrowed my eyes at him, seeing it was inappropriate to come out as the girl who punched a gentleman in the face.

"Priorities, Melissa, priorities." He said.

*******

Thank you guys so much, keep commenting and voting to tell me more!

Love,
Rojesta. 💜