Chapter 29: With You

"Are the bruises healed?"

"Relatively."

"Did your father make any more threats?"

"We aren't talking about this." Vince and I were in his room, his mother had gone for a woman's meet or something of that sort.
Vince lay diagonal on the bed with his head on my lap while I sat upright against the head board.

As far as my parents were concerned, I had assured them that we would finish the report as much as possible. And it's not like we hadn't, just compilation was left to do.
After half an hour of what could only be called fooling around, the atmosphere changed. He has made it clear that he wanted me no where near the deal with his parents, and I agreed with him. If that made him feel better, I didn't want to argue but I still worried about him.

I was running my hand through his soft black hair and he had his eyes closed, making me realize how much he communicated with them.
"I don't want to know, Vince, just be safe, okay?" I said in a low voice.

"I am."

"So, when was this?" I asked, pointing at his naked arm. It was an anchor with the words sink or swim written over it.
"After my first fight. I guess, it provided me with the will to continue even though I knew it was wrong." His eyes were now open, letting me into his mind. I pressed my lips on his forehead, wanting to take away his pain.

"You never did tell me about yours." He turned to look at me, taking my wrist in his hand and tapping on the tattoo that read 'Be Strong'.
"I assumed if I saw it, it'd give me the strength to defy what others wanted of me. In some ways it did." The tattoo was my first attempt towards a different life, but soon it too was remained just a memory of what could be.

"Why the boxing gloves?" I asked soon after.
"It's the club symbol."

"Jinx, you want to go for a movie?" I was both startled and amused by his suggestion.
"You want to go out for a movie date?" I mused, hiding my snicker behind a smile.
"Why is that so surprising?"

"You avoid people with every living breath, and you want to go sit amongst atleast a hundred strangers by choice?"
"I'll be wherever you are." He finished with a charming smile.

"You, mister, have learnt way too many ways to woo me. And since you are pushing yourself, why not take a leap? A few people are hanging out in Jake's place today. Want to go check it out?"
"Define few people." He grumbled, sitting up. His hair was sticking up in different directions courtesy me of course.
"I don't know, five?" I was lying through my teeth, I knew there would be more than that.

"I'll pretend to buy your pathetic lie and get going."
"Thank you, thank you. " I said with a grin and placed a kiss on his cheek.
"Whoa, whoa, babe, an evening with your friends deserves more than a peck on the cheek."

"Really?" I said, stretching the word and wrapping my arms around his neck. Vince was easily a foot taller than me, so he had to place a hand on my waist to stop me from tumbling over on my toes.
He raised his eyebrows at my tone and nodded innocently.
"You poor thing, I torture you so much." I murmured against his lips, pressing a slow kiss against it.

Vince hummed softly, pulling me closer for a deeper kiss.
His hands left my waist to sneak into my shirt, making shivers run up my spine at the sudden warmth.
He moved to my neck, nibbling at a spot as low moans left my parted lips. Somehow through all this, the lip ring had managed to maintain it's icy coldness against my skin. Or perhaps, my skin was heating up beyond it's capacity.
Vince's hands slipped out from under my shirt and he returned to place a final peck on me before pulling away.

I could only guess how flushed I looked at that moment, my cheeks burning red with my hair and lipstick all over the place.
"Don't look at me that way." He groaned, kissing me another time. My brain and heart had both gone into a state of overwhelming emotions. You'd think after so many of his kisses I'd be used to how they left me.

"Don't kiss me that way." I grumbled under my breath.
Before we could leave a loud crash stole both our attention.

Vince stood infront of me, his hand shielding me from the door.
"Jinx, stay here, okay?" He said in a whisper, another loud crash sounded, this time more like a vase shattering against a wall.
"I-"

"Come down, Ernesto!" I was cut off with a voice which was definitely Vince's mom but the slur in her words made me hold on to his arm.
He held my hands in his and shook his head slightly. My heart was hurting at the way his eyes saddened, I knew immediately of what he felt.
I brought my lips to his hand and let him go.

As he left, he shut the door but her voice could still be heard.

"Who did you end up killing today?!" I could hear that Vince was whispering something but her anger only worsened.
"Shut up, Deli! You're just like him! A monster." I hated it. I hated hearing her scream those harsh words at him yet my feet stayed planted to the floor.
"No! I'm not drunk!" Another glass piece falling to pieces.

"Mom!" His voice reverberated off the walls, probably an attempt wanting to pull her out of her trance.
Silence rang through the house, not even footsteps could be heard anymore. I sat back on the bed and awaited for him to return. I was worried beyond belief. Did she hurt him? Is she alright?
I took out my phone and messaged my parents that I'd be late. Though, my reason was quite different, they didn't question me much.

After what I clocked to be one hour, Vince came to the room.
"I'm sorry." I had my face turned away from the door but when I did look at him, I let out a gasp.
"Vince." His forearm was bleeding but it was now bandaged neatly. Why couldn't the universe let his bruises heal at least?
I wrapped my arms around his torso, his hands remained limp by his sides but I didn't let go. After what felt like hours, they came around me. We stayed that way and I felt him loosen up a bit.
I reluctantly removed my arms from around him and he went to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Hey, look at me." I murmured, taking his face between my hands. I always found a gateway of emotions through his blue eyes but at that moment they stared back at me void.
I caressed his cheek and bent down to place a kiss on his forehead. He was hurting, I knew but how could I help him?

Silence surrounded us but as if something snapped in him, he pulled me into a him, his arms around my waist. I buried my hands in his hair and hugged him back wanting every way to make him feel better.
"She comes back like that a lot." He muttered into my shirt his lips tickling my stomach through the shirt.

"Drunk, cursing my dad, me, everyone. At first it didn't happen often, we were a happy family. Then he started increasing hellion and my mother couldn't take it when he recruited me." I stayed quiet, brushing through his hair.
"When I almost killed someone, she was the first person I told. I never expected her to turn on me, she called me a-" his voice broke and a part of me did too, "Monster."
"And rightfully so, a monster is what I am." I shook my head violently at his words.

"You're every bit of an amazing man who loves his family. Who takes care of anyone and everyone. Who is so talented, it leaves everyone wondering how they can be like you. You, Vince, were never a monster and will never be just because the circumstances push you to be one. You've never killed, I know and you would never." I tilled his face up to look at him and I could see the vulnerability in his eyes.

"I didn't want you in any of this." He whispered, his blue eyes swirling with pain.

"I'll be wherever you are."

******

My heart is hurting.

Love,
Rojesta. 💜