Chapter 10: Find Me

"Melissa!" Chelsea called out in a hushed voice that following night.

"Yeah?" I looked at her, switching on my flashlight and keeping it between us so I could see her face.

"You know what I overheard? Brandon and a bunch of guys are crossing the boundary tonight and going hunting!" She whispered with wide eyes.

"Going hunting? At night?" I emphasized on the words trying to make sense of them but coming up empty handed. Honestly, what were they planning to hunt or even hunt with?

"Yeah, even I couldn't quite make head or tail of what they would achieve from staring into a pitch black forest but that's what I gathered from their talking."

"Chel, were you eavesdropping again? We spoke about this." I teased, a small smile on my face.

"Shut up!" She stuck her tongue out at me and threw a pillow aiming right for my head.

"Goodnight! No regard for good gossip now-a-days. What has the world come to?" Chelsea dramatically flipped in her sleeping bag and let out a huge disappointed sigh, giggling right after.
I laughed along with her and looked at the sides of the tent.

I didn't want to be bothered by the fact that what Brandon is doing might land us up in big trouble with everyone because it was no longer my place to state my judgement.
My eyes drooped on their own, falling into a dreamless sleep.

Curse the inventors of this alarm.

How someone could think that horrific noise would be a good sound to wake up to was beyond my cope of understanding.

"What is that god awful cranking?" A very grumpy Chelsea scowled getting off the bed.

"Good morning, sunshine." I greeted, taking the bottle out to brush my teeth.

The windcheater did little to protect me from the chilled morning I had woken up to.
I shivered as I brushed my teeth with ice cold water and made my way to the common breakfast area where everyone stood with burgers and steaming coffee cups in their hands.

I picked up my own cup of hot coffee and made my way to the guys who had surprisingly woken up.
The heavenly smell of coffee brought a sense of warmth and happiness.

Caffeine addict right here.

"Hello, morning birds!" I chirped.

"Do not mention birds, please." Ryder groaned as everyone nodded in agreement, looks like the alarm was taking a toll on all its audience.

"Hey, Melissa, could you go and ask Daniel to let us do something else fun rather than learn about trees?"  Jordan requested with a charming smile.

"No, we are here for the environment only." I stuck my nose up in the air as I said the words making Jordan glare at me.

"Good morning, guys!" Krista cheered, as only sighs and unhappy whispers sounded.

"I know the morning alarm takes a little getting used to, but don't worry, what I'm saying next will take your mind off that." She had everyone's attention now, we all looked at her intently but didn't let our hopes get too high.

"Our way of getting to know the trees is a little different, trees are not about book knowledge, they are the wonder in the world. Anyone can learn a few names but only a few can appreciate the true beauty that lies within." Daniel spoke as he joined Krista in the middle of the group just as a hand came over my shoulder.

"Hey! What did miss?" A panting Chelsea asked.

"Nothing, they're just about to start the briefing." I whispered back to her.