Chapter 24: Protection

Strong usage of abusive words ahead.

"Melissa Rosette Colespar." I flinched at my mother's tone, she stood in the hallway with her hands on hips.

"You cannot go to his house and inform me about it after."

"Mom-" I started but my mother's glare cut me off.

"No. You listen to me right now, young lady." She hardly ever used that tone with me and whenever she did, it was paving way for a hurricane.

"You are not to go to that boy's house. Friendship is fine. But that's all, Melissa. We didn't go through all that we have to lose you to a boy drowning in illegal businesses." At her words, I stood tall. After everything I came to know today, I respected Vince for his courage. To go live with parents like his and still not smile through it. I know I didn't understand his story but I knew enough to comment on his character.

"Mom, he isn't any different from Jake or anyone else. I went to his house because I ran into his mother at the supermarket." At this her eyes widened.

"You met Laura?" I raised my eyebrow at her question.

"You know her?" I could see mom realizing her mistake but it was too late.

"Yes." She whispered, her head hanging low.

"What else, mom?" I asked, moving closer to her.
"She was in the same college as I." My mother went to the most prestigious institution, one that required the brains and the money.

"She was?" She only nodded, taking a seat on the sparkling white sofa.

"What I'm about to tell you, Melissa, you must know I'm a changed person." I frowned at her words, looking at her with concern now.

"Mom, you're scaring me, what is it?"

"Laura and I were friends back in the days, unfortunately, we got into the wrong group. I was dating one of the fellows, quite similar to Vince. He wore dark tattoos, had a cigarette packet stacked at all times."

"He had a friend, one who fancied Laura. I didn't like him much, so I protected her from his advances." I saw my mother's face twist with guilt.
"It started with one smoke at a time, and soon both Laura and I were addicted." I gasped. My mother, the one who carried herself as if she were one with the Royal family was a drug addict?

"The man I dated turned out to be a jerk, he left me broken. I met your father not soon after and fell in love with him. He was approved your grandparents, everyone loved him." My mother shook her head, trying to get rid of her wrongs.

"I forgot all about Laura, when I was gone getting help, Laura grew closer to Ernesto. And before I knew it, I was handed a wedding invitation." I held my mother's hand. I knew she was hurting but I was overwhelmed by all that I came to know.

"I went to her countless times, I did, Melissa. But she was too far gone, her addiction which I was responsible for was so out of hand that she had Vince in rehab. After him, she started getting better but I couldn't see her anymore as I had you and your father didn't want to be associated with them." Tears were now rolling down her eyes.

"I saw them in passing once, and they looked happy. I felt happy, we weren't close, we hardly ever spoke in twenty years. I started seeing her husband, Mr Montero, at social events often. And I was pleasantly surprised to see his business up and running, to see he left all his bad habits." She was still trembling, her hands shaking in mine.

"But he isn't clean, you need to understand, he owns multiple underground businesses, and he has Vince in them too. It isn't safe, Melissa. I couldn't save Laura, but you are my daughter I will not give you up." I now understand why they stood so strongly against it. They were more connected to this than I could ever imagine.