Chapter 25: More Questions

"What do you mean he called you?" I asked, still digesting the fact that he had.

"Whatever argument you might have had with them really shook them up. He thought you were with me and after realising you weren't, didn't know what to do so I told him that I'll find you and bring you home?" Vince seemed so clueless and innocent. I didn't know whether to laugh at his face or cry at my situation.

"Was it about me?" He asked in a reluctant voice, he had cut off the engine as the car sat at the entrance of my house.
"Don't be so self-centered." I said with a nervous chuckle but I could tell he already knew.

"Jinx, your parents only want good for you. I'm already drowning, you shouldn't be forced to come with me."
"You aren't drowning, you never will. I'm not forced to do anything when it comes to you and I certainly never will be." I took his face in my hands, placing a kiss on his cheek.
"I'm with you, Vince. No more second guessing." I said, pulling his forehead to mine.

"Okay." He whispered back.
We both got out of the car. Vince promised to dial for a cab to reach home but he never got to leave as the door to my house opened.
"Stop right there." My father's authoritative voice seized both our actions.

"Vince, I'll like for you to come inside if you're okay with that." My mother was no where to be seen and I felt a little guilt creep because of that.
"Yes, of course, sir." I wanted to plead him to leave. I couldn't take anything anymore I wanted to sleep till the sun came out and then some.

We both entered and I saw mom sitting in the living room, for a moment I wondered if she had moved at all since I left.
"Melissa, you are excused." Dad said, his voice firm.
"No, I wh-" I didn't get to finish as Vince squeezed my hand.

"Go sleep, I'll be fine. I'll see you tomorrow." I nodded at him, I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him to me, not caring it my parents were against it.

"Be careful and don't let them chase you away, okay?" Vince nodded in affirmation and I went on my way, glancing at my parents once. As I reached the foot of the stairs, I turned and went to the living room.

"I'm sorry, mom, I shouldn't have said those things. I love you." I proceeded to hug her which I was thankful she returned.
"I love you too, darling. The dinner has been kept in your room, eat something before you sleep." At the mention of food I realized just how hungry I actually was. I had left my house close to noon and it was night time all I had was a few red gummy bears.

Dinner was indeed delicious, I knew my parents would offer food to Vince too. I thought I'd take a bath and go downstairs to check the affairs but as I came out of the steaming shower the bed called my name.
I checked my phone for messages but upon seeing more then ten, I let go. Sleep wrapped it's blanket around me and I snuggled closer.

I woke up with a jolt the next morning, just to see if Vince was alright. I glanced at the bedside clock; 9:45.

I rushed to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, put on a bun and changed my clothes.
When I did reach downstairs, the situation before me had me stunned. Vince sat with a white empty plate infront of him, laughing at something my father was talking about. His tattooed hands a visual contrast to the spotless white granite counter.

The maids were busy running errands and mom sat beside my dad joining in on the laughter.
After I don't know how long, Vince noticed me and beckoned me closer. I didn't know how to react so I stared at him.
Soon silence grew as I was still standing at the same spot with my mouth slightly ajar.

"Melissa, honey, come eat breakfast. There are some blueberry pancakes left."
"I-" I choked on my words, unable to grasp the situation quite yet.
I looked from Vince to my dad and then to my mom, none of whom found anything out of the ordinary.
And then I gasped, "Mom!"

"What happened?" My mother was telling only one who knew where I kept my gummy bear reserve and I felt betrayed as a bowl filled with them sat on the counter.

"You, how could you? And you-" I glared at Vince who raised his hand in surrender, "wasn't one packet enough for you?!" I lunched to take the bowl away from them, holding it against my stomach.

"My precious." I whispered, stroking the bowl. The only thing that made me happy was most of the ones that remained were red, my favourites.
"Is she always like this?" Vince asked rhetorically.

"You should be happy you didn't eat the red ones." Dad chuckled, flipping the newspaper.
"I like the green ones." I gasped at Vince's words. Vince shrugged, coming over to steal some green gummy bears peaking from the red.
I took the bowl back to wear it's hiding place and put it there.

"It's official, I'm not telling you the next place I'm keeping it. That's not for the guests, you know that!" I grumbled, folding my arms over my chest and thanked Stella as she laid a plate filled with pancakes on the counter for me.
"Since when did you guys become best buds?" I looked over to Vince curiously, because I would know if he was hiding something.

"Something wrong with that?" My Dad mused, looked at me over his reading glasses.
"Yeah, you told me to stay away from him."

"Opinions aren't constant, Melissa." My mother butted in. Vince had his eyes on every object but on me, making me even more suspicious.
"Vinc-"

"I should get going, mom wanted me to run some errands." I frowned as Vince dodged my question midway.
"I'll see you out." I narrowed my eyes at him, placing my fork and knife on the plate and following him out.

"Spit it out. Did they tell you to put up a happy face for me and then never see me again?" I poked my finger to his chest as we stepped out. The valet was probably out hailing a cab for him to return but I wasn't let go till I knew the truth.
"They aren't bad people, you need to understand that. And I'm not all good, Jinx."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"No. They didn't. As your father said, opinions do change." I knew he was lying, and it hurt. I was tired of trying to get past him, if he wanted to get away so bad, then be it.
"You promised no second guessing, Vince. Don't break it." I wasn't giving up but I didn't know how else to hold on.

"I'm not leaving you. Trust your parents and please, trust me." I didn't say anything more, I've had it up till here with them babying me. I didn't wait around any longer for him to change his words.

"Melissa. I love you." My hand froze at the front door handle. Those three words casing my head to spin.
I didn't expect it, and I didn't know what to say. But the only thing I was relieved about was that his tone didn't hold any goodbye in it, it held a see you tomorrow.

It took all my courage to turn around and look at him.

I didn't say anything, nor did he ask me too. He just smiled, his lip ring twinkling under the sunlight. I threw my hands around his neck and buried my head in his shoulder.
How does a person you've know for a few weeks understand you the way people who have known you for years couldn't?

How can someone so obviously different from me make me feel things inexplicable?
Why does the feel of his hand around my waist feel perfect and secure when all things about him scream danger?

How could Vince, a boy I stayed away from most of High School make me love him in such a short span of time?

Love?

******
Screw me, I believe in love in two weeks, okay.
Love,
Rojesta.💜