Chapter 9: Discovery

Everyone by now looked drained so I assumed they wouldn't expect us to do the midnight party but you can never know. A bunch of teenagers in my opinion can't be put in a place together with no havoc being created.

The scheduled bonfire was started off by the students sharing their experience at the camp and soon we all got ready to sing a song. Two guys sat with guitars on their laps and one with a wooden box beneath him, which I believe was his makeshift drum. The marshmallows seemed to melt in our mouths as we held our sticks out to the fire blazing on infront of us.

Everyone started humming along with the tune.
We all sang and at that moment I don't know why, my curious mind forced me to look around for him.  Though, I didn't find him, I knew he was around somewhere in the trees.

"Hey, look what it is." Jake said from beside me, successfully getting my attention.

He was swinging around his roasting stick with a worm on the edge of it. For a fraction of a second I was startled and then I told my brain to calm down as insects aren't the reason for world war three.

"Someone who looks just like you, huh?" I smirked at Jake who deadpanned and wiggled the worm closer to my eyes.
I still continued to look at him, unfazed by the little insect.

Soon it was time to go to sleep and no one could've agreed more.

"Looks like you guys won't be having the midnight party tonight." I said as Chelsea and I walked back.

"Are you kidding me? No one, and I mean no one, is going to pass on a party." She said, chuckling. "Well, except you sometimes." She added as I narrowed my eyes at her.

"I think I'll take you up for the offer tonight. I feel like partying."
Someone had taken out their speakers and the music was on full blast. I'm still wondering why the Principal hadn't come to put a stop to this madness.

Though, I won't dare say the party wasn't fun. Everyone was dancing to their own beat with a glass of coke in their hand, just having fun. Enjoying their last year of teenage.

"Hey, look who made it." I turned around to see Jordan coming my way, smirking.
"Tell me why we never got together?" He said, putting his hand around my shoulder.
"Because I got a feeling I can show you a good time." This is so Jordan, always taking his chances. 

"Shoo, run along. Try your luck somewhere else, kid. This girl here ain't falling for that." I chuckled waving my hand away dismissively.
"Fine, your loss." I laughed at Jordan as he flipped his imaginary hair off his shoulder and swayed his hips as he walked away. If only his fangirls caught a glimpse of that.

I turned my attention back to the people infront of me, laughing around.

"Hey, I'm glad you are here." I groaned as Chelsea made her way towards me.

"Why does everyone say that! Yesterday was probably the only day I passed on a party." And I wasn't lying, my appearances in every high school party were necessary. It's an image you need to keep up as the popular.
Though, I never really disliked the high school parties, it was always thrilling to be at one. Everyone dancing, drinking illegally and just enjoying. The rush that brought was too much to give up. I had never attended a party in which something dramatic hadn't happened.

"Sorry, what got your panties in a twist."

"Anyhow, I came here to pull you to the dance floor." Chelsea said in a chuckle, tugging me to a crowd of dancing teenagers.

I moved my body with the beat, getting lost in it's rhythm.
After a while I felt a body behind me and I didn't mind till it got a little bit more touchy feely.

"Hey! Watch it." I snapped, turning around to see a smirking Brandon.
"Why? Didn't seem to mind it before." He said on a smug voice.

"I always felt against it, though, I didn't want to hurt your stupid ego by voicing my opinions." I crossed my arm on my chest and walked away, the dancing mood all ruined.

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" I yelled as I walked far away from him. I was mumbling about my misfortune looking down and I didn't see a figure standing in the dark as I rounded a tent.

"Ouch!" I yelped out as the stranger stepped on my foot.
"Yeah, should've realized only Jinx." I recognized the voice almost immediately. Only Vince would choose a place in the shadows to light up a cigarette.

"How many of those do you smoke?" I asked, completely forgetting about the fact that I was upset a while back.
"One or two? I don't know, I don't keep a diary." I still couldn't see him as the shadows hid him. Only the red butt of the cigarette was visible as he took in the toxic smoke. But the audible shade in his words was enough to get me scowling.

"Staying here alone isn't a wise idea, baby." I could hear Brandons voice, it had a dark edge to it. The way Brandon changed in the past few months was a clear example of how fake high school is.

I felt Vince step a little bit closer but I held up my hand, telling him to move back. I sensed him backing into the shadows when Brandon came into view.

"What is your issue? Why can't you just leave me alone?" I exasperated, running my hand through my hair. The change in my emotions was so sudden, I was stunned for a brief moment. How one could make me laugh and another; pick up a knife.

"You. You are my issue, Melissa. Because of you, I'm kicked out of my group of friends. The football team hardly considers me to be the captain anymore. To answer your question, you, it's all because of you and I won't leave you alone till you understand that." He cursed loudly as my heart thudded.

"How is all that my fault, Brandon? You caused that the moment you thought of getting frenzy with that girl. You brought it upon yourself." I said, my voice was strong but my heart was slowly giving up. I was tired, this continuous tug of war with the strings of my heart is too much.
I wasn't close to him, yes, but it still hurts to have a person cheat on you, the lowest form of emotional crime. He was my best friend before I ever got into the next step. We both thought on each other's behalf, albeit, not too much but enough.

I'm just glad that most people in school sided with me instead of that cheating loser as I thought they would. Guess not all cliches exist.

"Don't lie, Melissa. You drove me away. You wouldn't do anything, I am a guy, after all." I cringed at his disgusting words and backed away, subconsciously finding a sense of safety near Vince.

"You are the worst type of person there can be. You deserve all that is coming your way, I have no idea how I ever thought I could hold a relationship with you." I spat, feeling an eerie shiver run down my spine.
I glared at him, sending all the hatred his way yet he seemed unfazed by it all.

"You are going to regret all this so much, Melissa. So much." He retorted, giving a sneaky smirk and turned to walk away.

At his disappearing figure my shoulders slumped.

I didn't know the level Brandon could fall down to, never in our time together had he let me get even a whiff of his twisted mind.
I could feel angry tears blurring my view while I tried to prevent them from falling.

"Hey, he doesn't deserve it." I heard Vince's calming voice and a large hand on my shoulder, taking away all my worries with just one touch.

"I know he doesn't."

******

Vince is my boo. 😭

Thoughts please!

Love,
Rojesta. 💜