Chapter One

Jessica's POV
"You can't do this, Jess."
"Why? Our relationship has been meaningless, Carl! All you do is sleep on my couch, eat my food and waste my money on beer because you have a drinking problem. I can't take this anymore! You need to leave!"
And without anymore words, my now ex boyfriend Carl walked out of my life, like I'd been trying to get him to do forever. I couldn't help but feel a tiny bit bad for him since he would have to find a hotel to stay in until he found a place to live in. I guess that's his fault, since all he did was rely on me to make money to support him and not bother to get a job or a working car. I decided not to pity him anymore. I'm going to reward myself for finally kicking him out of my life. I decided to take a walk to the coffee/ice cream shop down the street from my Nashville apartment.
I grabbed my keys and my purse and headed out the door and locked it. I got to thinking about where Carl thought to go after I kicked him out. It had been about 20 minutes since I made him leave, and I didn't see him anywhere outside so he must've just started walking in a random direction to try to find somewhere to crash for the night. No matter what he did, I was just glad he was out of my life for good.
I continued to think about Carl when some stranger bumped into my shoulder. That's when I realised that it wasn't a stranger who had bumped into me. It was the one and only Hunter Easton Hayes.
"Sorry, my fault." He turned to me, looking better than ever in person.
"No, that was my fault." I replied.
We both stood there silently for a minute, just kind of staring at each other and then looking away like two idiots standing in the street.
"So, where are you headed?" He asked.
"Oh, just the coffee shop around the corner." I replied.
"Oh, me too. Want to walk with me?" He asked.
At first I was awestruck. I was awestruck that he was even talking to me. Now he was asking me to walk with him to the coffee shop. This is one of the best days I've had in awhile.
"Um, sure!" I replied, trying to hide the grin that was forming.
We walked silently for about a minute, just trying to keep to ourselves until we got there.
"So, what's your name?" He asked.
"My real name is Jessica. But most people call me Jess or Jessie." I told him.
"I like Jessie. It's very unique for a girl like you." He told me. What did he mean by 'a girl like me?' What am I like?
"It is, huh?" I replied.
We got to the coffee shop and got ready to order. Hunter insisted that I order first. I ordered an iced mocha. I moved down to where you wait to collect your drink as I watched Hunter move up to order his French vanilla latte. His favourite. I collected my drink and sat down in a booth and watched hunter move down the line to collect his latte. He grabbed his drink and walked over to my booth.
"May I?" He asked me.
"Sure." I told him.
We just sat there for a few minutes drinking our beverages and looking at each other. He finally decided to ask me some questions.
"How long have you been living in Nashville?" He asked.
"About a year and a half. I came here to study music education." I told him.
"Really? I write music and perform my songs for people around the world. I'm Hunter Hayes." He told me.
"Yeah, I know. You're kind of my idol. I know every song you sing..." I said.
He blushed, and I looked away out of embarrassment. Out of all things I could've said, it had to be that?
"Seriously? You kind of made it seem like you had no idea who I was when we were walking..." He told me.
"I was trying not to make a complete fool of myself by screaming. Did you not see my face? I was mentally freaking out inside when you bumped my shoulder earlier!" I told him.
He blushed again, this time turning beat red. I wasn't embarrassed; not this time anyways.
"I'm glad you're a fan. Meeting fans is like a dream come true for a guy like me." Hunter smiled.
"I bet it is." I smiled back.
"So, Have you been to any of my concerts? The best part of concerts are the meet and greets." He told me.
"Yes, I have actually. I went to the We're not Invisible tour show in Memphis. Invisible is really a very powerful song. I was stoked when you debuted it at the Grammies. Grammy night was a very emotional night after that..." I admitted, mentally wincing at my use of the word 'stoked'. What is wrong with me?
"Trust me, I know..." Hunter explained.
"You know I actually have a bullying past. In middle school I was the biggest outcast in the entire school." I told him.
"Really? You seem like such a great person though." He said, a sad, small look etched onto his face.
"I know, I know. But you of all people would know that the most perfectly normal kids get picked on in school..." I stated the obvious.
"That's true." he said.
We just sat there quietly with our drinks for a few minutes.
"Hey!" He got my attention.
"Yeah?" I responded.
"You wanna go out again sometime? It'll be fun." He asked me, excitedly.
"Sure!" I said. "When?" Did Hunter Hayes just ask me out?
"How about Whiskey Kitchen tomorrow night at 6:30?" He asked.
"Sounds like a plan!" I told him.