Chapter Nine

Jess' POV
Hunter hasn't been answering my texts or calls. I'm starting to get worried. Maybe something serious happened or maybe he decided to get back together with his ex. I don't know, but I intend on finding out. I really hope it's not the second thing.
Then my phone buzzes. It's a text from Hunter.
HH: hey, sorry about my absence over the past few days. Something came up.

J: it's okay, what's wrong?

HH: it's easier to explain in person. Mind coming over?

J: not at all. Be there soon.

I got into my Acura and drove until I got to Hunter's apartment complex. When I get there, I knock on the door. Hunter opens it with his daughter in his arms.
"Come in" he says, clearing the path through the doorway.
I walk in, a little nervous about what he has to say. I hope I'm not right about him getting back together with Nicole. I sit down on the couch.
"Make yourself comfortable. I'm going to go put her down for a nap." Hunter then walks out of the room and opens the door to what I assume is her bedroom.
I pull out my phone and click the home button so it displays the time. 4:37. A few minutes later Hunter comes out of the bedroom and I can hear snoring. She fell asleep that fast.
"So now, for the explaining." Hunter walks to the cooking area and clicks on the keurig. "Want some?" He asks.
"No, I'd like to sleep tonight." I chuckle.
"Anyways, you heard the whole thing in the car about Nicole breaking the doll. That's not all she's done." He looks about everything but happy or satisfied.
"Go on" I say. I'm actually worried about this child. I want to know what happened.
"She...hits her" it seems like that was really hard for him to say.
"She hits her?! Who does she think she is?" I'm furious now. There is no way I was right.
"I worded that badly. She used to hit her. She'll never lay her eyes on my daughter again. I will never allow it. And she's receiving her karma..." He looks at his bare wrist. "....right about now. I called the police. They said she was being arrested."
This relieves me. "Damn right she won't see her again. If she ever tries she would have to go through me first." I say. I didn't realize I cared so much.
"I didn't know you cared so much or I would've told you sooner. I wasn't sure if you would care." He felt the same way.
"I didn't know I cared so much until now either. I guess it just happens."
We're silent for a few minutes.
"I talked to my parents about this. They said something that really made me think."
"What did they say?" I ask.
"They said that we will have to make sure Kylee has a happy life or she will be traumatized by her own memory forever. We're hoping she forgets, but who could?" He seems so angry, like he's building it up and then bottling it up inside. You don't know how much that hurts me.
I don't know what else to say so I just say "yeah".
Hunter's POV (same part as above)
I open my phone and see 4 missed calls and 7 texts from Jess. I better text her.

HH: hey, sorry about my absence over the past few days. Something came up.

J: it's okay, what's wrong?

HH: it's easier to explain in person. Mind coming over?

J: not at all. Be there soon.

When I saw her Acura pull into the parking lot, I had just finished deciding what I would say. I purposely pushed Kylee's nap back a half hour so I didn't have to talk about it in front of her. Then I hear a knock. I pick her up and walk over to the door and open it.
"Come in". I tell Jess and clear a path through the door. She sits down on the couch tiredly.
"Make yourself comfortable. I'm going to go put her down for a nap." I then squeeze Kylee tighter and head towards her room. I hear taps of thumbnails on a phone screen. Maybe she's texting somebody.
Before long Kylee is sound asleep so I walk to the living room to talk. "So now, for the explaining."
I stop at the kitchen and make a cup of coffee. Jess doesn't want any.
"Anyways, you heard the whole thing in the car about Nicole breaking the doll. That's not all she's done." She wants me to keep going but I'm a little frightened to do so.
"She...hits her" that was very hard for me to say.
Her reaction is furious. I never knew she cared. I told what my parents told her about a happy life. I feel like I can tell her everything. She understands somehow.
I want to yell and scream in anger. But what self control is that? I'm trying to be optimistic but it's so hard given the circumstances. I don't show my anger. I feel that holding it in helps more. And it's going to stay that way.