15

You know that feeling you get? The feeling of falling? That's exactly how I felt at the moment. Waking up was the worst part of the next day. Paisley was gone. Dead. Max threw her body somewhere in the woods probably. Maybe in the basement.

      I rolled over to see Max sleeping on the floor, a small line of sunlight across his face. I gently placed my feet on the floor, opening the door wide before bolting out. Was the blood still going to be there?

     "Summer?" Nicole asked opening the attic door, her eyes holding worry and sleepiness.

     "Uh—yeah?" I asked, spinning around a cheesy grin on my face.

      "Do you know where Paisley is?" She asked before she yawned, running a hand through her tangled hair.

I couldn't tell her. I just couldn't.

"I think she, uh...I think she went to see the horses. To feed them you know..."

    "You're not telling me something.." She slowly drawled out taking a step back.

     "I—uhh..."

   "Summer tell me."

  "Paisley is dead." I blurted out, closing my eyes tightly.

     "That's funny." She smiled, her eyes widening.

       "I'm not kidding! Her body is downstairs in the basement, she was being brave while I was a chicken. She got killed because of me!" I screamed before running out of the house until I tripped, rolling into the grass.

        The wind rustled the grass as I laid there panting. It was hot. Almost too hot to be around.

      "Tired?" Max asked taking a seat next to me.

      "Shut up." I muttered getting into a sitting position.

      "Listen, I know you're upset about Paisley, but..."

    "But what?"

   "There's people here that...care about you..people that are right under your nose that you block out."

     "Is this a life lesson?" I asked looking over.

     He chuckled before stretching.

     "No, I'm only telling you to look past the walls."

     "Yeah. Past the walls that keep me trapped in this place." I mumbled turning away.

      He stood up casting a glare my way.

     "Why are you glaring at me?" I hissed.

       "Because I'm trying to see if you really allowed Paisley to die."

     The breath felt as if it was knocked out of me, and I immediately felt tears rise to my eyes.

      "You don't mean that..." I whispered glancing up.

      "Yeah I do..and I can't believe I allowed myself to love you. You're just another girl. Another human that hurts others. You're just like my dad." He mumbled before turning on his heel, leaving me behind to cry in the grass.
~~~~~~~~

Later that day, I finally got to my feet, dragging them back into the house. I glanced toward Max's door, a longing growing in my heart before I turned and climbed the stairs to the attic. I wanted—no needed—to escape.

"Summer?" Nicole asked from behind me.

"Yeah?" I scoffed.

"It's not your fault you know.." She began before I held up a hand.

"Please,not right now." I muttered silently before climbing the stairs, collapsing on the bed.

     Was it my fault? Yes? No? Maybe? Thoughts were running through my head making it hurt. Could I even escape now? I needed to stay in this house. I needed to die in this house. I needed to die so Paisley wouldn't be mad. Wouldn't be mad that I broke my promise. The promise that was so strong,and it turned out to be weak. Maybe it was my fault Paisley was dead. I didn't even know anymore.

Words swiveled around my head before I forced my eyes shut. The darkness was welcoming, almost..peaceful. Maybe I could die in this house. All I needed was to get in some big trouble. But what about Nicole? A headache was forming before I drifted into a dark sleep,nothing going right anymore.
~~~

      When I opened my eyes I could hear panting like a dog right in my ear. I cautiously lifted my hand and smacked who—or what— it was right in the face. A crack filled the room right with a cry of pain. I sat up quickly my eyes having a hard time focusing in the dark.

       "Ow Summer!" Nicole shrieked from the floor. I fumbled for a light switch flipping it to on.

      "Why were you panting in my ear?!" I yelled trying to not focus on her bloody nose.

     "I wasn't panting I was whispering." She mumbled.

      "Sure didn't sound like a whisper."

    "Shut up and come help..I think you broke my nose." She hissed through clenched teeth.

      "Sorry about that.."

      I stumbled over helping her up. Her nose was a deep purple,almost looking black, with blood rushing from it.

     "I'll go get Max. I think he knows what to do with broken limbs..." I mumbled before turning and going down the attic steps. I opened the door and pounded on his door. There was no answer. Maybe he was outside? I turned on my heels and tan to the stairs only to slam right into him. He stumbled back, glaring down at me.

      "What's the rush?" He mumbled.

      "I..uh..I broke Nicole's nose and I was wondering if you could help.." I stuttered when I noticed the blood stains on his shirt.

      He glanced down seeing where my eyes had landed on the blood.

      "Don't worry about it." He stated.

     "Oh I am definitely worrying about it.." I said glaring.

        "Don't we have to go take care of Pai—I mean Nicole?" He stuttered, his eyes going wide.

       My eyes widened. He almost said Paisley, I was sure of it.

         "She can wait I think..why did you just almost say her name?"

      "Who's name?"

   "You almost just said Paisley." I said choking back the lump in my throat.

      "Are you sure? Did you hit your head or something..?" He asked his cheeks turning red.

         "What are you hiding from me Max?" I hissed glaring at him.

       "I—fine. You really want to know? Ok. Paisley is still alive. I've been going down in the basement to take care of her."

      I froze.

    Paisley was still alive.
-----------
HAhA guess who's back?

     Alright before y'all start yelling at me for not updating in a year, I have a good explanation. Short and simple. I had no inspiration. Heh zero inspiration till I found a conversation and found some inspiration. No I did not steal it from another book. Y'all can thank AzzyPop and 2 other people I'm just rlly lazy right now.. :)

     How's summer going? It's almost over and this year I'm a freshman!! I'm kinda glad for summer to be over. Haha just kidding. Anywhoooo.

    Who knows when the next update will be BECAUSE softball tryouts are soon and then high school starts soon so yep.

  xxxx
Maegan