Chapter Nine

Jack's POV

"Because you wouldn't answer my calls and I wanted to tell you that Alex is alive," Alice said with tears in her eyes.

  I slowly sat up and stared at her in shock. She couldn't be lying. She wasn't cruel enough to make this kind of joke. I stared into her eyes, she wasn't twitching or looking away. She was telling the truth. Alex was alive. I quickly jumped up off my bed and pulled her into a hug.

"Oh my god," I managed to say between sobs.

  Alice held me in her arms and cried with me. For the first time in months we were crying from happiness instead of sadness. Alex was alive and he was waiting for us. I pulled away and looked down at my best friend. Her hair was a mess and what was left of the makeup she put on a few days ago was spread all over her face making her look like a raccoon. She had tear track down her face and a huge smile.

"Let's go," I said while rubbing my eyes.

"Okay," she smiled, leading me out of my room and down the stairs.

  My father was sitting in the kitchen and my mother was passed out in the living room. It was always the same scene. My father looked up as we passed the kitchen. Alice paused for a second to give him a look that pretty much told him not to bother speaking or going after us. We walked in silence all the way back to Alice's house.

"Let's go see Lex," she grinned, unlocking the car and getting in the front seat.

  I grinned and climbed into the passenger seat. The drive was longer than expected. It felt like we had left the house hours ago, but it was only half an hour. The traffic is horrible and all the good CDs are in Alice's bag that she left in the hospital room. We were stuck listening to Kesha's new song for about the third time and long commercials MR Tire. Alice finally got fed up and shut off the radio.

___

  Once we reached the hospital it was a race to the elevator. I almost considered taking the stairs, but Alice said Alex was probably out of breath enough for both of us. We speed walked down the hall and stopped in front of the door that I've become too familiar with over the past few months. Alice pushed open the door to reveal Alex, his mom, and a few doctors. Alex looked so fragile as he pretended to listen to what the doctor was saying to his mom. Alice shut the door behind us and Alex looked over at us. His face lit up when he noticed us standing there. Alice grinned ear to ear when he held his arms open for us. We shuffled over to him and hugged him.

"Oh my god I've missed you so much," I managed to say between sobs.

"I missed you too," he whispered, tears falling down is face.

  We stayed like that for a while until the doctor told us to go wait outside while he talked to Alex and his mother.

___

Alex's POV

  The doctor explained what my condition was like over the past few months to me. He praised how it was a miracle I had woken up and that a coma patient hasn't woken up after the life support was shut off before. In some weird way I felt special. I didn't want to bring up the fact that I was already well-aware of my condition. I wasn't really up to saying I could hear everything that was said. I also don't want to upset my mom by mentioning that my dad came to take me to the other side with him. I think that would remove the smile I hadn't seen in years from her face. I don't think I'll be able to talk about what happened in my mind over the past five months. I'm still so confused as to what was happening. I'm also scared if the next time I close my eyes I'll get trapped again.

"We're going to keep you over night to run a few more test and tomorrow afternoon you can go home," my doctor said with a smile as he clutched his clipboard.