Chapter Twelve

I stood there wrapped in my father's arms. I was sobbing as I clung onto him. This was the first time in months my dad and I actually had any type of physical contact. It would have been better if it wasn't under these circumstances. Alex let himself into the house and went off to make a call I assume to Alice. My dad pulled away and lead me inside. It was strange to be home, but it felt good. I followed him into the living room and sat on the couch with him. It was like every problem we've ever had with each other disappeared. We sat there and talked for almost an hour before the doorbell rang. Alex rushed past us from the kitchen and opened the door. I stood up to greet the sobbing girl in my doorway. Alice ran into my arms and sobbed. She was speaking, but I couldn't really understand what she was saying through her sobs. The only words I could make out were, "fuck you" "Asshole" "I love you" "dick head" and a few other things. Alex leaned against the door frame and watched us with a smile.

"Goddamn you Jack, don't you ever do that again," she said, throwing soft punches to my chest.

"I won't I promise," I said while planting a kiss on the top of her head.

___

  My mother funeral happened the following day and as my dad and I suspected hardly any people showed up. My grandparents were there, Alice and Alex were there, a few of my dads friends and my aunt. Once the hearse took her away we went to the graveyard to bid our final farewells and give last words before she was buried six feet under with a big stone telling people that she was a mother, wife, daughter and sister that passed too soon. I knew my mom would think the tombstone had too many titles and that she would have wanted something more simple, but my grandparents were the ones to have it made. We each gave our final words and placed a flower in her coffin. She was lowered into the ground and we each threw a handful of dirt on top and said goodbye. Within minutes she was covered and I wasn't going to see her again. We placed a few flowers around her tombstone and left.

____

  A few weeks passed since the funeral. We were slowing going back to normality. I went back to school with Alice and Alex and I moved back home. My dad and I were starting to get close again. I updated him on everything that happened since I had moved into Alice's place. He was very accepting of Alex and I and I was glad for that. Alice's family was sad to see me go, but they were pleased my dad and I were getting along better. Alex and I started working with Andrew at his dad's music store again. Things were finally starting to feel better and I'm pretty sure everyone could tell. It was great to be able to go around and just be happy again.

"Are you excited for tonight?" Alex asked as he took a seat across from me at lunch.

"Yes, but I'd be more excited if you told me what exactly we're doing tonight," I said before taking a bite of my sandwich.

"If I told you it would just take all the fun out of it."

"You're not planning to slaughter me and use my corpse as sauce for pasta are you?"

  He stared at me with his mouth hanging open for a long time. I was starting to wonder if he was okay, but I was too involved with my food to ask him.

"That's disgusting," he finally said.

"You didn't deny it so I'm officially going to think I'm a pasta dish," I replied, picking up the pickle on my tray and tossing it across the table to him.

"I'm not a cannibal Jack."

"That's what all cannibals say Lex."

"Oh shut up," he laughed, leaning over the table and planting a quick kiss on my lips.

"Because I like your kisses I will," I smiled.

___

 After school, I went home to get ready for wherever Alex was taking me. He told me to dress like a prince for him. I have no clothing that would make me look like a prince so I went with a black button down shirt with a blue tie, dark gray skinny jeans and my dark blue chuck taylors. I place my clothes on my bed and walked to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and stripped down. Once the water was warm enough I stepped in and sighed as the warmth covered my body. After a few minutes of just standing under the water I started to wash my hair and the rest of my body. Within fifteen minutes I was clean and walking to my room with my towel around my waist. I dried off quickly and pulled on my clothes. I smiled in delight when I walked back into the bathroom and saw my reflection. I looked and felt good. I started drying and straightening my hair and then quickly styling it. Once I felt my hair was perfect I grabbed my wallet and phone and went downstairs to wait for Alex.