Chapter Eighteen

Alex's POV

  It's the night before prom. My mom is making me sleep in her room and jack sleep in my room while she sleeps on the couch. She said she didn't want us to keep each other up and be too tired tomorrow night. I can see where she's coming from, but I've gotten too used to having Jack cuddle with me at night that it just feels weird. It's after ten and we've already been sent to our separate beds by my mom. Luckily Jack and I got to cuddle and watch a movie after dinner before we had to get into our separate beds.

__

  The next morning started with a special breakfast from my mom and a few long boring hours of school. Thankfully it's a half day because of Prom tonight. When we got home my mom sent me up to take a shower white she fixed Jack blond streak in his hair. I didn't bother arguing because I'm actually really excited about getting ready. I quickly made my way upstairs and into the bathroom. I turned on the water and stripped off my clothes while it warmed up. Once the water was to my standards of warmth I stepped into the shower. The hot water washed over my body removing the gross smell of school hallways and cafeteria food from my body. I just stood there and let the warmth and steam wrap me up like a blanket. I hadn't realized how long I was standing there until my mom banged on the door and told me I had to finish up because she was sending Jack in to rinse his hair in the shower. I quickly washed my hair and body and shut the water off. I grabbed a towel off the rack and wrapped it around my waist. When I opened the bathroom door I was greeted by Jack and my mom. Jack's hair looked like dry straw because the bleach dried. My mom grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the bathroom so Jack could go in. The door closed behind him and the shower started up. I let my mom drag me to her room where she had my suit and all the good hair products. She left so I could dry off and put on some boxers. When I finished I called my mom in the help me tame the mess I call hair. She gladly helped my straighten and style it. Once my hair was perfect I put on my suit and let my mom fuss over my tie and cuffs. To be honest I hate wearing suits, but this suit is awesome. It has two pickets on the inside of the jacket. I plan to hide snacks in those pockets just encase the food at prom sucks. I've already set aside some granola bars, crackers and cookies to put in my pockets. My mom doesn't know that I'm doing that and if she knew I would be in trouble.

"I can't believe you're leaving for prom soon. It seems like just yesterday you were in first grade and I was bringing you your lunch," my mom said with a soft smile while she applied cover up to the few zips that littered my face.

"Hey don't get all sappy mom save it for senior prom," I said with a light laugh.

"Oh shush you," she laughed.

  She quickly finished getting me ready before leaving to help Jack. I sat on her bed and looked around the room. Memories of when I was little came flooding to my head, bringing a smile to my face. When I was little this room felt like the safest place. Wrapped in blankets and being held in my mother's arms after waking from a bad dream. She would help me bring my stuffed animals and blankets and I would sleep between her and my dad. My dad would wake up worried because I was still sniffling from crying and he would tell my stories while my mom held me. I always felt safe with them. I never thought of any other place could make me feel as safe as I feel in this room, but when I'm with Jack I feel safe no matter where we are. If I never met him I probably would have left with my dad instead of fighting to live. Jack is my other half and I can't imagine what this past year would have been like without him by my side. I can remember our first kiss so vividly. The mere thought of it still brings a blush to my cheeks. The way Alice force us on each other and we ended up falling in love right there. She was the little push that sent us over the edge into this pool of happiness. I love her and Jack more than anything in the world. I couldn't ask for a better friend or boyfriend. They fixed me even though I didn't think I needed to be fixed they foung the crack that I had kept hidden and they're the glue that keeps it from reopening.