Chapter 4 - Surprise, surprise!

Chapter 4: Surprise, surprise!

“Hey V.”

Her throat dries up all of a sudden and she feels like she can’t speak. She gulps and manages to say, “Hey Ash.”

Ashley smiles down at her and Veronica opens the door and gestures for the girl to go inside. She takes a minute to compose herself before she turns around.

Ashley’s glancing around the apartment and hums appreciatively. She looks as beautiful as ever. Chestnut-colored hair, tanned skin, and beautiful hazel eyes that she once used to get lost in. She looks the same as she did when Veronica last saw her at graduation.

"How did you-? Wha-?”

Ashley laughs and runs a hand through her hair and puts the box she was holding down on the couch behind her. Veronica glances at it then back at her.

"Planning on moving away from that door anytime soon V?" The girl raises questioning eyebrows at her and opens her arms wide. “Can I have a hug?”

Veronica's senses kick back in and she’s running towards Ashley before she even realizes it. She jumps at the girl making them both fall down the couch.

"I missed you Ash." She says as she crushes her in a hug. “I really missed you.”

“I missed you too V.” Ashley mumbles, burying her face in Veronica’s hair. She smiles down at the older girl whose eyes suddenly grow wide.

~~~~

"Okay," She tries not to laugh. "I'm really sorry about the coat."

She’s looking at Ashley who is trying to clean her coat with a napkin, having had to remove the piece of clothing after it got coated with icing and crumbs. The cupcakes unfortunately got squashed in the process of their reunion.

Veronica scowls at the sight; it’s her fault that Ashley sat on the box by accident.

"Talk about sweets going straight down your thighs, you gotta lay off the sugar next time.” She grins, earning a chuckle from the older girl.

"You think this is funny huh?" Ashley points at the ruined cupcakes on the coffee table. "If it weren't for the fact that your mom would kill me ‘cause the furniture’s new I would-"

"You would what?" Veronica grabs the box and stands up, slowly inching away. Her lips curve into a playful grin as she silently challenges Ashley. The girl catches on and stands up as well, her lips matching her own. Veronica cocks her head and runs for her life.

They run back and forth around the huge apartment until she finally decides to put an end to it and runs upstairs towards the safety of her bedroom, wishing she hadn't started this game of cat and mouse with the taller girl. Running across the soft carpet, she fails to notice the footsteps closing in on her.

Relief washes over her when she nears her door. She almost touches the doorknob when a pair of strong arms suddenly grabs her from behind. They land hard on the carpet and she tries to struggle out of the girl’s grip but finds it hopeless.

"I surrender!" Shutting her eyes tight, she braced herself for… she didn’t know actually. She opens her eyes to see Ashley sitting on top of her and panting.

Her breath hitches when Ashley suddenly closes in on her. The older girl looks at her, eyes flicking like she was trying to read what was on her mind. All she feels is Ashley’s hair falling into a curtain around her face. Veronica closes her eyes and turns her head away trying to steady her breath.

Oh shit was the only thing on her mind when she opened her eyes once again.

~~~~

"This is so unfair… attacked in my own home!" She proclaims dramatically before diving on her bed.