Chapter 21 - Malibu Nights (Part 3)

Chapter 21: Malibu Nights (Part 3)

A/N:
Who's ready for some well-deserved fluff?

----------

Veronica

"Excuse us, please!" Rachel raises her voice at a bunch of people blocking the entrance to the party, maneuvering us through the swarm of people entering. Meanwhile, I'm trying to give them an apologetic smile as we pass by them.

She takes us to the part of the beach with no lights on.

"Oh my gosh, you're gonna murder me aren't you?"

No response. The grin on my face turns into a frown. The queasy feeling is back. We're finally going to talk. Like, talk talk. And based on my Rachel White experience, this can go either good or bad. I'm hoping for good.

We walk behind the cove's commercial establishments and we're greeted by a dimly lit pier. The soft glow of the pole lights makes it a humble sight to behold with its simplicity. I'm actually surprised it's empty. She continues walking through the length of it while I try to calm my nerves down.

Finally, she stops. I hear a loud sigh escape from her before turns around to face me. Her eyebrows furrow as she stares at our still-linked hands. She lets go, the warmth from her hand replaced by a cold breeze.

Her eyes lift up to find mine and I give her a tentative smile. She looks at me with a stern face before suddenly lunging forward and kissing me. I stumble back a bit from the impact but almost melt at the feeling of her lips on mine again. Her hands start finding their way into my hair and mine finds their way to her waist. Like last night, it feels like a thousand butterflies just burst out from my stomach.

Wait.

Focus.

You. are. here. to talk.

I know I'm going to regret this right after I do it, but I gently push her away. Her eyes flutter open, confusion painting its way into them.

"Wait, Rachel. Can we talk first? Like actually talk."

Realization falls on her face as she gives me several short nods, her cheeks turning a bright red. "Yes, yes, of course. Sorry. It's just- I've just been wanting to do that all day."

I stare at her wide-eyed and gulp before continuing. Please give me the willpower to keep my hands to myself.

"Uhm... O-Okay." I cough. "So first, about last night. And please, don't run away this time. But why did you..." I find myself having a hard time actually saying it. For some reason a part of me feels like it might make her run away again.

"Kiss you again?"

I give a small smile in affirmation. Her use of the word "again" not going unnoticed.

She exhales deeply, looking up before directing her gaze at me. "It's hard for me to admit this. But..."

She runs a hand down her face, sighing. It looks like she's having a hard time.

"But?" I urge her on.

"Shush." She hushes me, before finally continuing.

"I think I might actually... like you back, Veronica." She gazes at me. "I realized it would be stupid and a waste of energy for me to torture myself by pretending I don't."

Apart from the already loud drumming of my heart, a grin slowly starts to form on my face. "Did you just say my name?"

"Is that seriously the only thing you gathered from what I just said? I literally have been racking my brain the whole afternoon trying to sort out all of these emotions. I even freaking gave myself a pep talk in the restroom earlier." She scowls, mumbling the last part to herself.