Chapter 16 - Developments

Chapter 16: Developments

Veronica

"Fine, Rachel. I do."

As soon as the words leave my mouth, I realize there's no going back. The words have been said. Was it the right choice? I don't know.

She seems surprised for a moment before she smirks at me, her eyes holding a hint of amusement. "Huh. I didn't think you'd actually admit to it so easily."

"W-why aren't you surprised?"

"Because I'm not. Someone might've already clued me in."

"It's Sam isn't it..."

"Aly told me." She sits down, flipping her hair and putting a leg on top of the other. "It didn't really come as a surprise. Who wouldn't be infatuated with me?"

I laugh, shaking my head lightly. I'm telling you, her ego is unparalleled. She looks out into the field with a neutral expression. She's surprisingly calm.

"You don't seem angry." I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"This just feels like something you'd get mad at." I shrug. "I expected you to make fun of me."

"Are you saying I'm homophobic?"

"Well, are you?"

She scrunches her nose. "I'm not some close-minded halfwit."

"Plus you kissed me." I blurt out without thinking. She glares at me. But I don't back down, not now. "...Do you like me?"

She stares at me for a few seconds before bursting out laughing. She wipes a few tears from her eyes and looks at me. "I'm sorry... what? Do you actually think there's a chance that I'd like you?"

My lips form a pout. "You don't have to be so harsh..."

"Aw Heath, you're too funny."

"Well, then I have to ask... do you still hate me?"

I think I catch her off guard because she looks at me and opens her mouth to say something but closes it back again, looking deep in thought.

A moment later she clears her throat and looks away. "Well... not as much as I did."

My jaw drops at her statement. If this ain't progress I don't know what is. She shoots me a look, and knowing Rachel, she already regrets admitting it.

I grin at her. "Does this mean we're fri-"

She abruptly stands up and dusts off her skirt. "Okay. That's it for this little interview."

I look up at her, a grin still plastered on my face. "Seems like we're friends now."

"Absolutely not." She says, but this time it's different. Her voice doesn't have the same conviction as all the other times she's denied me.

My breath catches when the wind gently blows her hair back and I find myself staring at her. How are you so beautiful, Rachel?

"What are you looking at Heath?"

"I'm- just appreciating our blossoming friendship." I say, giving her a smile.

She raises an eyebrow. "A completely one-sided one."

"Doesn't feel like it."

She squints at me. "What do you mean?"

"Because you're smiling again."

Rachel's face snaps back into her usual bitchy look and she crosses her arms for emphasis. I roll my eyes at her.

"Lies. Don't act so casual with me."