Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Bad News, Good News

Dad growled and made his way towards the front door, putting his finger up to his lips as he passed, ushering us to keep quiet. We waited in silence as dad opened the door and started talking to whoever it was.

“What the hell are you doing here at this hour? Shouldn’t you be patrolling with the others?” Dad yelled at a man, the alpha tone in his angered voice radiating power with each word he spoke, causing us to flinch at the intensity of it.

“Sorry Alpha Thomas, but there’s been an accident.” a weary male voice answered. I immediately recognised the voice as dads second in command, his beta. Kyle’s dad.

“What do you mean an accident?” dad roared. We all shuddered where we sat, and Kyle and Chet instantly moved to each side of me, taking each hand and squeezing lightly.

“The pack of rogues attacked again, members were hurt, and one of them shifted back to human form long enough to say they would be back.” Mr. Parker answered timidly. I heard dads aggravated sigh. Mom got up and quickly walked to the front door with dad, leaving just me, Kyle, and Chet in the living room. I heard the front door shut, and hushed voices from outside.

“The adults must think we’re too young to listen to this stuff.” I huffed, even though it scared me that our pack was attacked again.

“They’ll probably tell us when they come back inside. God knows Sky wont shut up asking until they spill it anyway.” Chet chuckled. I elbowed him in the ribs and shot small daggers at him. He grinned and ruffled my hair.

“Argh! Stop messing up my hair you butthead!” I hollered at him and ran my fingers through my hair, flattening it out again. He laughed and smirked at me.

“You’d think after seventeen years of life you’d come up with a better insulting name to call me than butthead.” he teased, causing me to punch him in the arm hard. He groaned and rubbed his arm. I grinned.

“And I would think that you would stop mocking my words since you get hurt every time after.” I teased back and he grinned.

Our playful bantering was cut short when dad came back in, with mom at his side and Mr. Parker a few steps behind. The grins wiped off our faces and was replaced with solemn stares as we looked at their expressions. Dads was one of worry, stress, sorrow, and anxiety. Mom’s was one of worry and sadness. Mr. Parker’s mirrored dad’s perfectly. It was scary.

“Kyle, you’re going home with your father. You will finish your packing and meet back here at 8am sharp. Tomorrow you and Skylar are leaving for California. Understood?” Dad ordered to Kyle in his alpha tone. I stiffened and froze in place. School wasn’t starting for another month, and dad never talked to Kyle in his alpha tone before.

“Yes sir.” he replied with no hint of emotion, giving my hand a small squeeze before he quickly got up and disappeared out the front door with his father.

“Skylar, go up to your room and finish your packing as well. Your mother will be up with some boxes if you need them.” dad ordered me. I nodded my head and left the room, making my way robotically to my room.

I closed the door when I entered my room and the realization of how serious the situation hit me like a load of bricks. I crumpled on the floor and breathed in raggedly.

Why did it have to be me? Why couldn’t I be left out of it? I thought to myself as a soft knock came at the door. I recognised it at Chet’s and stood up shakily and opened the door.

“Hey, sis. Mom sent me up here to help. I brought boxes.” he gave me a soft smile and motioned to the boxes by his feet.

“Thanks, Chet.” I sighed. We brought the boxes into my room and started packing the rest of my stuff in it, with Chet talking about his college life and any other non stressful thing he possibly thought of to ease my mind.