Chapter 5

Chapter 5: New school, more drama.

“Wake up!” Abby shouted in my ear as she shook me awake. I groaned and rolled away from her grasp, burying my head in the pillow.

I was up most of the night stressing and worrying about today, and about home. When I finally fell asleep, I had dreams about how today would go, and none were too pleasant.

“Five more minutes.” I whined as she jumped on my bed and started prying the pillow away from me.

“Come on, Sky. You’ll be late! No one want’s to miss the bus on the first day, trust me.” she said worriedly. I sighed and finally got up.

“Fine.” I glowered at her, grabbing the uniform and undies I had laid out last night.

After a quick shower, I got dressed and straightened my hair. I applied a little makeup and stood back in front of the mirror to take in my appearance.

The uniform wasn’t that ugly, but I hated it none the less. Mainly because I was being forced to wear a skirt like all the other girls at this school, and I hate skirts. It was red and blue plaid skirt, with a white short sleeve blouse and a red and blue striped tie, with a red jacket to top it all off. I scowled at myself and went back to my room.

“Bus will be here in 5 minutes.” Abby said as I entered the room.

“Cool, thanks.” I said, grabbing a pair of white ankle socks from my drawer and slipping them on. I reached down for my converse and quickly slipped them on, and stood up, looking around the room.

“Is this what you’re looking for?” Abby asked, handing me my schoolbag.

“I…Um… Packed you a lunch while you were in the shower. School food usually sucks on the first day back.” she stuttered. I took it from her and smiled.

“Thanks, Abby. That was really nice of you.” I replied. She smiled timidly at me and looked at the clock on the shelf.

“The bus will be here any second! By the way, I don’t think the principal will like you wearing converse with the uniform. It’s against school regulations to wear any shoes other than these.” she said, pointing at her shoes. They were black and simple.

“Oh well, he’ll just have to suck it up.” I said, taking her hand and dragging her out the door and down the hall.

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Instead of going on the bus, I sweet talked one of the teachers into letting me drive to school with Abby, Kyle, and Danny. I regretted driving though, because as soon as we were out of earshot, the comments about me wearing a skirt kept up from Kyle and Danny, causing me to hit them both a few times on the drive.

We followed behind the bus and within 15 minutes we were driving into what I thought resembled more of a prison than a school.

The school building was just as massive as the dorms, only it had security people with metal detectors at the entrances, and all the doors seemed to have heavy duty locks on them. I parked into the parking lot and stared in awe. I was suddenly ripped from my thoughts as I heard my cell go off.

“Hello?” I said into the speaker, not needing to look at the caller ID to know it was my dad.

“Hello, Skylar. How are you?” dads voice came from the other end. He sounded nervous and worried, unlike all the other times I talked to him since I’ve been here. I immediately felt something was going to go wrong.

“I’m cool, what’s wrong?” I asked, cutting to the chase. He sighed.

“I forgot to mention one small detail before you left.” he said guiltily.