XLVI

Not all dialogue in this one guys. ;D

(4:30 p.m. - at the bench)

       My palms were sweaty, my hands shaky, and I kept messing with my hair as I sat nervously on the bench... waiting. He already knew who I was. He saw me every day, so I had no idea why I was so nervous. I just was. 

       After ten minutes of sitting there waiting, I had the fearful thought that he wouldn't even show up. That he chickened out... but then I felt warm hands cover my eyes. 

"Don't look Em, not yet."

       His voice was still that same harsh/gruff I was sure hurt his throat, but I just nodded as the warmth of his hands faded away. 

"Keep those beautiful eyes closed."

       I did as he said and he walked around the side of the bench. After five months, we've come this far for me to cheat and look now. I felt his heavy weight sit down next to me on the bench, but kept a good foot of space between us. 

      I frowned when I heard his gulp.

       He really was nervous. 

"Don't be so scared, E." 

       My voice was barely above a whisper as the big body next to mine began to gently shake. 

"Before you open your eyes Emmy, you need to remember when we were friends."

       My frown grew, but I kept my eyes closed as he continued.

"We've gone to school together since fourth grade. I held your hand when you fell off the playground, I fought away those fuckers who bullied you, and I had the biggest crush on you since you joined the school."

       Now my frown was directed at me. Why didn't I remember any of that? Why didn't I remember him?

"And then that fucking idiot came in the picture and swept you out from under me."

       Gavin...

"And you just forgot about me. For years I could not fucking figure out what he had that I didn't."

"E-"

"Sh, perfect girl, let me finish."

       He grabbed my hand from off of my lap and entwined his longer fingers with mine before continuing. 

"I joined athletics and tried out for all the sports teams that I could, like if I was some big star you would see me again." 

       He squeezed my hand tightly before he let go and leaned away from me. My frown grew.

"When that didn't work I started acting out, pushed myself up the social ladder... slept around. I became someone I hate. I fucking hate myself."

       My heart broke at his words. I didn't want him to himself... he was perfect. 

"I did everything I could to get you to notice me, and when that didn't work I tried everything I could to forget you.

       He let out a harsh bark of laughter that caused me to jump in my seat before I felt his body slump beside me.

"Look how well that worked out."

"Why didn't you just come up and talk to me?"

"Because you were so wrapped up in that fucking prick,  you wouldn't notice me if I stood in front of you fucking naked."

"E-"

       Soft, full lips crashed against mine before I could even get out a full word. It took all I had in me not to open my eyes and stare at the boy who had claimed my heart the second day he texted me. I couldn't help the small gasp his kiss had caused and before I knew it he was cupping the back of my neck and pulling me into a deeper kiss.

       All too soon he was pulling away from me and my heavy eyes blinked open. 

       Eyes so blue they out shown the Mediterranean sea stared back at me with such nervous worry it made my heart clench.

       I reached up slowly and traced my thumb along his jaw, my eyes furrowed in confusion.

"Why do you look so worried?" 

       He frowned and his worried eyes turned confused as I rested my palm against his gruff cheek. 

"You don't... don't hate me?"

"I might be really pissed at you, but how could I ever hate you?"

       I let my hand run along his cheek until I could run my fingers through the soft dark hair at the back of his neck. 

"I love you Eli."