•2•

"Pedrad, Zeke." Marcus says.

Zeke gets up and looks back at us. I hold uriah's hand tightly and watch as he walks to the bowls. He cuts his hand and stands there for 5 seconds looking.

Soon I hear the sizzling of coals, and I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. The dauntless cheers as he walks back.

Marcus finishes up the names and we're finally dismissed. Uriah and I catch up with Zeke who's in the front talking to a stiff.

A stiff transfers to dauntless? I contain my laugh from getting out. This is just too good to be true. Mar catches up and she puts her arm around me.

"1 stiff. 3 Erudite. 2 amity. 5 candor. Rest are dauntless born." She tells me.

"Well this year is going to be good." I say.

The train blows its horn. We start running as the train gets closer. Mar runs in front of me glancing back at the train. Soon the train comes and we jump on. I see Zeke help the stiff on the train.

I scoff and go sit with mar and Uriah.

"Zeke!" Uriah cheers and hugs him.

I get up and push Uriah out of the way and hug Zeke.

"Four this is Tris and Uriah." Zeke introduces the stiff.

I look at four up and down. Uriah and I turn around and huddle up.

"20 dollars he backs down." He says.

"40 he survives the first day." I respond.

We shake hands and turn back around.

"So four what made you transfer?" Uriah asks leaning against the pole.

"Oh you know. Getting tired of the same thing." He says quietly.

Before Uriah can ask another question someone yells our stop. We get on the edge and I see people starting to jump off.

Uriah and I grab hands and we get a running start, then jump onto the roof, sticking the landing. We cheer and do our handshake.

I look back to see Zeke and four catch up with us.

"Ok gather around everyone!" Amar yells from the edge of the building.

Uriah and I stand beside him scanning the crowd.

"Ok who wants to jump first?" He asks looking around.

Nobody raises their hands. I know Zeke's reason but the other dauntless born? Come on.

"Can I?" I ask.

"Well seems like you're the only one." He says and steps aside.

I turn and step onto the ledge. I look down to see the big, dark hole that lies below. I take a deep breath, letting myself fall. I feel the rush of wind that rushes through me.

I smile as I land on the net. Travis (a made up instructor) pulls the net down. I slide off and stand behind him.

"Cowards?" He asks.

I nod.

"Well first jumper tris!" He holds up my hand, and the dauntless go crazy.

Uriah comes down after me, laughing as he falls on the net.