Chapter 4 ~ Hatred

'Hatred is considered a strong word but often mistaken with dislike. I've never hated anybody, that's beyond me. It's better to just stay quiet and ignore people, rather than express your hatred.

We shouldn't hate the people we're unable to forgive because one day, the reason behind their actions will eventually be revealed. Moreover, hating somebody means that we still attach importance to that person- that he or she still matters to us.

I know something worse than hatred: it's to act as if the person doesn't exist for you anymore. It's better to just stay quiet and ignore rather than express your hatred.

Hating people hurts us, so either we forgive them or ignore them.'

The bell rings, indicating that the class had ended and I have less than five minutes to get back before second period starts.

"We should probably head back now," he suggests, looking straight into my eyes.

We've been sitting here and talking for at least half an hour. When I say we, I mean that I talked and Nathan listened, though there wasn't any sort of boredom on his face. I guess it was liberating to speak without restriction but every good thing comes to an end.

I lift my bag from the wooden floor and stand up, heading towards the door, not wishing to miss another class.

"Jade... Wait !" He yelps, getting off the floor, making me frown in confusion.

"You can't just leave like that !"

"Hum...No, I was going to thank you and I would've left after that," I answer smiling. "So thank you for hearing me out... What's that rude guy's name again ?" I ask, unable to remember my persecutor's name.

"Aaron," he simply answers, smirking.

"Yeah, that's the one. I guess he is one of those stereotypical popular guys, isn't he ?"

"Yeah, we can say that," he mumbles, something changing in his tone.

He is avoiding my gaze; I know that by the way he concentrates on the door behind me but decided to not question him any further, I smile at him and start making my way downstairs. The sound of his footsteps echoes in the silence as he follows me.

"Oh! I forgot to ask you- What were you doing here anyway? Shouldn't you have been in class ?" I ask.

I am not the kind of girl who skips classes, in fact, this was my first time doing that but I had a reason.

"I could ask you the same thing," he shoots back.

"But seriously, did y-did you follow me ?" I inquire, knowing that it probably sounds weird.

I am pretty sure there was no one else inside the room and he just came in right after I got there.

Nathan is just standing at the side, looking somewhat embarrassed.

"Hum... Maybe... I was late for class and saw you running out in the hallway crying so I thought I had to check if you were okay. And then I heard you-", he replies, embarrassed.

"Yeah, I know. I don't really want to talk about it anymore. Thank you for checking up on me," I cut him off, my feet finally hitting the concrete.

What happened earlier was just a moment of weakness. It won't happen again; it must not happen again so I plaster the brightest smile I can manage to fake on my face and turn to him.

"Well, I guess it's time to go our separate ways," I state, admiring the boy standing in front of me.

I can see his eyes for the first time. And they catch mine, trapping me for the first time. I fall into those deep brown eyes, incapable of looking away. They are not extraordinary but their intensity is breathtaking. Nathan is the one who breaks the eye contact though.

"Yeah, I guess- See you around," he says smiling at me, before he starts to walk off to his class.

My eyes follow Nathan until he disappears from my sight. Something about him- I don't know what, inspires my confidence but I've been fooled far too many times to let this feeling of confidence disorient me. I finally snap out of it, heading towards the classroom.

The hallway is almost empty; most of the students are already in their classrooms. I hurry, unwilling to be late. The way people looked at me when I walked out of class earlier was enough attention for a day already.

Yet I stop brusquely when I see who's standing at the end of the hallway, a few meters away from where I am.

Aaron is glaring at me, his azure eyes filled with disgust and anger and I stop moving, unable to escape his hard gaze. He shakes his head, fists clenching. However, he surprises me when he just walks away, liberating me from my frozen state but I stand there, both in shock and in surprise.

I must have done something wrong although t I don't know what exactly. I barely spoke to him this morning and it's not as if I knew him! I only moved here three days ago but still, he isn't even pleased to see me here for some unknown reason.

~

A/N

Hi !

So what do you think about Nathan so far?
I kind of like him...

Please, don't forget to press the little star below to support me.

XXX
jxstmysxlf