Chapter 15 ~ Friendship

'I think friendship is one of the most beautiful things in the world. The way we can fall in with people that once were total strangers is the best experience we will ever have.

They might be the people who will never listen to our advice, but most of the time, they are the only one who knows what is best for us.

Because even though you and your friend are the most different people in the world, he will stick by your side no matter what happens. He will be with you in your darkest moments.

Friends are the people who prevent us to drown, even if all we want is to be left alone.

That's what a friend is, a piece of ourselves.'

The doorbell rings again, but my parents don't make a move. They are staring at me, still shocked from what I said. My father is now standing behind my mother, his hands resting on her shaky shoulders. She is silently crying, the tears rolling down her cheeks as she slowly stands up.

"Go open the door, it's for you," my mom sighs, starting to clear the table.

I frown, glancing at the window and seeing no car in the driveway. I walk towards the front door as the bell rings one more time. I can hear my parents whispering in the kitchen. I know they are talking about me, about my behavior. But they can't prevent me from seeing the only person who cares about me.

I open the large door and see a blond girl standing in front of me. She's about the same height as me, maybe a few inches shorter. Her green eyes twinkle from the excitement. Her make up is perfectly done, from the eye liner to the red lipstick.

I can barely recognize her though it has been only three months since we saw each other for the last time. She has changed a lot. Her hair is shorter, reaching her shoulders. And she wears a lot more make up than she used to. It makes her look older, she seems to be at least twenty.

Hannah is standing in front of me with her luggage next to her. I haven't talked to her since the argument with Nathan, a month and a half ago.

"Oh Jade, I missed you so much!" She almost screams, running towards me.

She wraps her arms around me, tightening her grip. I stiffen, not used to physical contact, but also because I'm taken aback. I wasn't expecting her at all. She quickly lets me go, probably because of my reaction. She looks at me with confusion before taking a step back.

"Are you okay? Are you not happy to see me? I mean I was supposed to arrive for your birthday but I thought it would be better if I came a few days before so we can catch up on what we missed," she says, frowning.

"I... No, I'm happy to see you! It's just that I wasn't expecting you to come here. I mean you traveled all the way to Oregon !" I retort smiling. "How long are you staying?"

I'm really happy to see her. I missed her so much, but seeing her brings back so many memories.

"A week and a half! I'll take a flight back to Florida on the 3rd of January," she exclaims.

"Wow, you've changed so much! Where are your glasses? And what have you done to your hair?" I ask her, surprised by her new look.

She used to be the typical cliché of the nerd without the shyness. She wore big glasses and the braces, her long blond hair always gathered in a ponytail. She was pretty, she still is. It's just a big metamorphosis.

"Well, I needed change. And Lissa helped me with the new look and everything," she answers, smiling brightly.

"Oh... Lissa... Are you friends with her?" I ask though I know the answer.