Chapter 26 ~ Explode

'We all have a breaking point. That very moment that leads us to lose our temper, to react excessively. That very moment that shows a side of us that nobody knew.

We may want to keep our mouth shut for everyone's sake, but we all know that eventually, everything will blow up. Because human nature has limited capacities, and trying to bury our feelings is one of them. 

Although people will be quick to blame us for our lack of respect or tactfulness, we know deep down we are not the one to blame. They are. 

They are the ones that push us to the edge as we desperately try to hold on and deal with our irritation, keeping our mouth shut and smiling politely. But one day, we reach our breaking point and although some people will see this as if we were losing control of ourselves, I don't see it that way.

Actually, I think this moment is when we fully take control of ourselves, finally letting go of all the frustration, anger and fear to speak the truth. We set free our mind and words from those invisible chains people put around them.'

"We're so happy to have you here," Nathan's cousin says as I set my suitcase on the bed.

My state of stress has been quickly followed by a feeling of relief as Nathan and I were welcomed by his cousin Emma. She was the only one home, everyone else busy trying to get every detail perfect for her wedding.

Emma is one of the kindest and most down-to-earth people I have ever met. She pulled me into a quick hug right after she opened the door, the smile on her face was genuine. I immediately knew Emma and I would get on well, she was just a few years older than me and her spontaneity was lovely.

"Thank you for receiving me, I hope it's not a problem that Nathan invited me at the last minute," I tell her with a wide smile.

She doesn't wear a suit or an expensive dress like I thought she would. She just had black jeans on and an oversized brown sweater. It's simple yet it looks great on her, with her ginger hair falling in beautiful curls on her shoulder.

"Oh no, not at all. In fact, he told us about three months ago that he might come with someone, so we were expecting you to come," she says and my heart warms up at the thought of Nathan planning for me to meet his family even though we just had started dating.

He already had faith in me, in both of us to make this relationship work. I glance at the window that overlooks the courtyard and see him take his suitcase out of the boot of his car.

"You know, you are the first girl he introduces to his family," she tells me as she sees the smile on my face. "It must be very serious between the two of you."

I try to hide my stupefaction and happiness. I thought his ex-girlfriend, Amber, would have met them. And to be honest, I was afraid they would compare me to her and dislike me because I have sort of taken her place. But what Emma just told me somewhat ease my apprehension to meet the rest of his family.

"Yes, it is," I reply and pull on the zipper of my suitcase to open it.

"Do you need anything else?" she asks as she takes clean sheets out of the drawer.

"No, everything is alright," I tell her, but sigh and curse at myself when I look inside the open suitcase.

"What's wrong?" Emma asks as she peeks over my shoulder.

"Is there a clothes store nearby?" I ask, the idea of going shopping annoying me even more.

"Yes, just a few blocks away, but it's probably closed by now," she says as she glances at her cream colored watch.