Chapter 18 ~ Attraction

'Isn't attraction something that misleads us?

This question is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about this word. We judge someone who might be our one true love based on how he looks, how he acts, all the external aspects that make him who he is.

We only care about the inside once we know we're attracted to him, and I think that's why a lot of people are disappointed in love. Attraction isn't reliable, sometimes it's just an ugly soul hidden behind a perfect faced.

This is the reason why I don't believe in attraction or love at first sight. We don't fall in love with a body, we find our one true love in a soul.'

I stare at the front door for several minutes, sitting on the first stair. I'm worried for Hannah, she has always been the best to control her emotions but I know that this time, she won't be able to have the upper hand. She tries though, she acted like if she could push the feeling of pain away in front of me, but I know it won't last long. Because that's what I do every day, and the feeling always comes back ten times stronger, crushing me. This is exactly what's happening to Hannah right now, she's drowned by her grief and I can't help her.

I insisted to come with her and cancel Nathan's plans. But Hannah is so stubborn, she wouldn't accept my help. She pushed me away and took my car, dealing with her memories and thoughts all alone.

I jump as Nathan knocks at the front door. This simple noise makes my apprehension and excitement rise. I hold myself back from rushing to the door and slowly stand up, trying to calm my heart before I finally see him.

I open the door and my breath gets caught in my throat. His white shirt fits him perfectly, bringing out the lean muscles of his arms. He wears black jeans that make him look like a model. I finally bring my eyes back to his handsome face, some light brown strands of hair falling on his forehead. His hair is still messy, like every time I see him, but he looks perfect.

"Wow... You're stunning," he says in a breath.

I know I shouldn't accord importance to how he reacted when I opened the door since we're just friends, but I can't help but feel satisfied. I like the way his eyes are little wider than usual and his mouth is slightly open. All of this seems to give me some confidence, enough to not look away.

"Thank you," I say, my confidence vanishing as I'm trapped by his deep brown eyes.

They hold so many emotions, I can't tell which one, but the intensity of his look just froze me in place. I don't have any more confidence to tell him that he's handsome, so I simply grab my black coat and lock the door behind me with the spare key.

"Where's Hannah ?" He asks, snapping out of it.

"She's sorry but she can't come. She isn't feeling well," I vaguely answer.

Nathan hesitantly places his hand on the small of my back and guides me to his car. I smile at him as he opens the passenger door for me, his hand leaving my back and brushing my hand. He closes the door and walks to the other side of the car. I take a deep breath and smooth my dress before Nathan slides on the driver seat.

"Where are we going ?" I ask as Nathan pulls of the driveway.

"You'll see," he replies, winking at me.

He must have seen the tension and apprehension filling my body. He takes my hand and squeezes it, my body immediately responding to his touch. I'm trying really hard to concentrate on something other than my hand in his but he lets it go, too quickly in my opinion.

My thoughts begin to wander on what Nathan has in mind for my birthday, and the panic slowly rises inside my body. It couldn't be a date since he had planned on picking up me and Hannah. I fiercely hope this isn't some kind of party with his friends, because I don't think I could bear that. Especially if Aaron is there.