Chapter 23 ~ Pride

'Pride is the thing that keeps us away from the ones we love. We are too proud to admit our mistakes, too proud to talk about what's wrong, too proud to show our emotions.

We isolate ourselves because of our pride, we think that admitting our failings will make us inferior. But it doesn't. It makes us human.

Human nature is made of weaknesses, and pride is just a way to hide them. But hiding them doesn't mean suppressing them. They are still there, being the perfect facade that is pride.

So we must put our pride aside before it's too late and show our true self. Because we are all human made of imperfections, fears and flaws.'

I walked as fast as I can the whole way, and I'm almost running as I reach my street. I know he is on his way here, it's just a matter of minutes until his car parks in the driveway. I just want to get inside my house and be able to forget all of this for the night.

I check my phone as I feel it vibrate against my thigh again.

8 missed calls
14 texts unread

Almost all of them are from Nathan, I just have one text from Nina. I don't bother reading them and put my phone back in my pocket.

I struggle to find my keys in my bag, but I manage to grab them just as Nathan's car pulls into the driveway.

Damn it!

The car has barely stopped, and I hear Nathan's door close as he calls my name. I don't turn around, I hastily insert the key in the lock and manage to open the door. I slide inside and try to close the door, but Nathan's foot in blocking it open and I can't do anything but look up at him.

"Jade we need to talk," he says, worry filling his voice.

"Yes we do, but not tonight," I say, trying to sound as emotionless as I can.

I can let my emotion take control of me right now. I need to think clearly, which is quite hard between him being that close and the events of tonight.

Nathan looks straight into my eyes and I notice his tight jaw and clenched fists. He is handsome, just as always. The dim light of the street lamp is lightening his beautiful face and I just want to forget everything and look at him forever.

"Please. Let me explain all of this," he says in a low voice and a shiver runs down my spine.

With him being this close, I can't tell if I want to push him away or kiss him. And I hate it.

"Fine! Let's talk," I harshly say, opening the door widely.

Nathan takes a step forward to enter the house but I don't move out of the way, my hand gripping the door. He sighs and stops a few inches away from me.

"Jade, look at me," Nathan says with a more gentle voice, his hand reaching to lift my chin.

"Don't," I whisper and take a step back. His hand falls back on his side and I see a flash of hurt in his eyes, quickly replaced by anger. I stare at the street lamp on the other side of the street, waiting for Nathan to speak.

"You can't just be so cold to me, you don't even know what happened!" He says in an angry tone and I try not to flinch as I stare at his eyes.

"Are you serious, Nathan? You don't think it's fair enough for me to act distant? I don't have time to spare with a guy who still has a relationship with his ex and hide things to me," I almost yell as my anger takes control of me.

"It isn't like that. I-" he starts and I throw my hand in the air.

"Then how is it? Don't you think I should be aware of the fact that you spent the whole afternoon with your ex-girlfriend? You lied to me, telling me she was no one! You had a relationship with her, how can I be sure you're not cheating on me? Explain to me Nathan because right now, I don't understand you," I say, pouring out my insecurities.