Chapter 29-Pretty Songs

As night fell again, Dahlia started growing on me. She was a very good wolf. At first sight, I wasn't able to see her spirit. I really had to look deep into those purple eyes. But then I noticed I had to look into the windows to her soul before I got to see the true Dahlia, the true Dahlia who was impossible to hate. As we walked through the night I was growing tired quickly. We had to find a place to rest.

"North, can you see anything?" I asked dimly as I struggled to take a step. His green eyes flicked to a brighter color but it happened so fast I couldn't be sure. I glanced at him and Dahlia was walking in front of us.

"Yeah, there's a cave right ahead. Let's get you there, Mystic." He replied and I squinted to see but I only saw darkness. We slowly moved towards it, Dahlia and I where crouched low. Our ears erect and our eyes where half closed. We may have night vision, but the cave itself was to dark to see in. North just strode in confidently with his tail high. Despite our warnings he was reluctant to leave it.

"Let's stay here to rest" he protested.

In the end we did.

My tail was tucked against my nose, my body curled up tight in a ball alongside my friends. But they weren't just my friends anymore. They were also my pack, with that thought my world faded into black.

My eyes cracked open and my ears twitched, I don't know how, but I had slept well. A sound came from behind me. Not whispering, growling, or even movement. It took my senses a few seconds to adjust to being awake and I realized that it was howling. Beautiful, eerie howling that echoed across the land. It was less of a message than a song, really. The melodic sound soothed me, and I glanced around. North was next to me. His eyes reflecting the sunlight and sitting up, but Dahlia was... Dahlia was howling.

It was midday. I couldn't believe they let me sleep that long. We had to get going. Though it was best at night, but we could still navigate by the sun... Kind of.

"Let's get going, we still have a little while to go til we reach the Mine." I told them smoothly.

"That's right...." North put in and raised his head. "We should start moving before it's night again with your pace that you guys walk at." He teased and Dahlia flattened her ears.

"Hey! You know how the Dark Star was, we don't get much exercise. I don't know why you're all eager to get there so fast." She barked.

"I was a rebel alright? I sneaked outside at night to-" he cut himself off and his tail wavered slightly. I glanced at him curiously out of the corner of my eye since I was still laying down.

"I ran at night" he finished

"Oh yeah, yeah you did. " Dahlia growled and North glared at her.

"It's the truth!" He claimed and his ears went back.

"Suuure..." she said sarcastically.

"Now I know why you two broke up" I whispered and heaved myself up to start walking once more.

●●●●●●●●●●●●

The sun dappled the ground, the trees glowed a light green letting sunlight in, their shadows danced as we walked. My injuries were healing, and though we needed to rest often, we were making good progress. We moved in silence. With only a few gestures for us to talk, it was easy. Then, Dahlia broke the silence.

"So... Why did you leave your old pack?" She asked innocently

I breathed in, my world spinning. North's body pressed against my side, supporting me. My vision steadied and I started to speak.

"We didn't really leave our pack.... " I started and North nuzzled me softly and I grinned, getting the courage to speak once more. "We where going back to ask for help to find my human, Lily. Instead, we learned that the alpha was a tyrant." I explained as shortly as possible but I tried to tell her everything at the same time.

Dahlia didn't talk much after that. She seemed deep in thought. With a glance at North I silently asked him if I'd told her enough and with that, he nodded. I sighed and padded through the forest. At this point I didn't care if we made noise or not. The brown soil gooey under my paws and the sunlight flowing through the leaves high above.

"So who was the Tyrant?" Dahlia inquired shyly after some time.

"Her name was Pine" I said shortly and refused to say anymore about her. North glanced at me then sighed. He understood, hopefully.

"Dahlia, this is a sensitive topic with Mystic" He said softly, trying to make her understand.

"Oh.... OK. .." She said regretfully. I watches her retreat, her fluffy tail waving. I turned to North.

"So..." I said awkardly and we both smiled sadly. We hadn't really had enough time to actually be alone for the past few days. But that was before.... we'd confessed.

"So....?" He mimicked, grinning. He really knew how to get to me.

"So... um.... uh..... What's the whole.... mark thing? " I questioned nervously and glanced behind us where Dahlia was walking along a couple yards back.  I had to make sure she hadn't heard.

"Well,  it's for us to know what we're feeling. We can communicate mentally now too. Oh, and we will also know where we are" He explained quietly,  making sure that she too didn't hear.

"Oh wow..." I breathed and felt the path that we were going through. The trees parted ways for us. The soft grass beneath our paws crunched softly. The leaves rustled by the tender winds which flowed through the forest. I breathed in the air, sniffing. I smelled the creatures around us, squirrels, birds, some deer in the east.... My ears perked up.

I could hear wolves fighting.

It was coming from the direction of the Mine.

"Oh no..... Northern, do you....?" My voice trailed of. His green eyes hardened.

"Yes,  I do" he growled.  "Dahlia! Stay by us. We're going into battle" he ordered sternly and my eyes flicked to him. Hmm,  bossy much? But we needed order now,  even if I was Alpha female I couldn't rule the pack alone. I had found my Alpha male.

"Dahlia, stay on my right,  I'll need your sharp eyes for the one I can't see with, I trust you don't need help in battle. North, take my left. I'll be able to help you there." I said firmly but not softly. I don't want you getting hurt I added silently.

I know..... I'll be fine, I have the night on my side. He replied in my mind. It startled me,  so much I jumped slightly. Dahlia had walked to my right.  I had to turn my head to see her. I didn't question what he had said. For some reason,  I trusted his word without explanation.

"Let's go kick whoever's tail that would dare attack our pack!" I snarled and hurled myself towards my home that I had to protect...

A/N

Hello fellow readers! I'd just got into a fight with Dahlia and both of us are giving the other the silent treatment. It was pretty intense but this chapter is dedicated to @Bill_Cipher- .I'm sorry, but we're still friends.

Right?

"As Mystical as the North is
The Snow in Winter is cold.
The Mist in the forest is fading.
But without one another.
They shall be nothing"

Just wanted to get that out there! Thank you for the 4.2K reads!  ^.^