24| e x p l a i n

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y -
F O U R
=> e x p l a i n
|lily|

Lily couldn't stop thinking about what Regulus said—I have no choice. She knew she shot that down, saying there's always a choice but she felt as if she left before she knew everything.

So that's what led her to that shortcut she used when Regulus called her beautiful for the first time. She knew he went there to be alone—to think.

She walked up the stairs and found him sitting on the floor opposite the window, back against the wall and his knees pulled up, a arm draped lazily over one of them. He didn't notice her until she cleared her throat.

His head snapped up. Reg eyed her in surprise, stood up then looked as if he was going to step towards her but stopped last minute. He shoved his hands into his pocket and nodded. "Red."

Lily didn't do anything besides cross her arms. "I want you to tell me why you chose the wrong choice."

Regulus frowned. "I told you—if I don't do it, the Sirius will have to—"

"No," Lily cut in, shaking her head. "There's something else."

"There really isn't, Red—"

"No," Lily said. "There has to be more. You're throwing your life into the hands of a madman! What's the real reason you chose to be a death eater?"

"My whole family will die if I don't!" Reg finally shouted, his voice breaking. "I will die."

"So you were forced?"

"No, I wasn't," Regulus said, closing his eyes. He leaned his head against the wall behind him and sighed loudly. "I took it voluntarily. I wasn't forced, Red."

Lily shook her head and stepped closer. "But you knew your whole family would die, so that's why you took it. You don't want to be one but you also don't want your family to die—you can't let your family to die."

She couldn't tell what he was feeling, since he always was very hard to read, but she knew that the hope she had shattered because what she said was all wrong. She sucked in a breath. "You wanted to be one," she finally breathed out, her voice small.

Reg nodded slowly. "I told you this before, Red. I guess you weren't paying attention." He paused and stepped forward. "Please don't hate me—I can't handle you hating me, Lily."

"Guess what?" Lily said, her voice breaking because she was fucking betrayed by her best friend. Her heart broke too and she tried so damn hard to keep the tears at bay. "You failed. Goodbye, Black."

She ran away from him and pretended she didn't hear the "Goodbye, Lily," because then it'll be harder for her to hate him and that's really all she wants to do right now.

***********************************

so, what do you think about the cover I made above ^^. Yay or nay???