Chapter 24 (Part 1)

Melanie

"Baby if that knuckle head boy isn't treating you right then I want you to come live down here with me and your grandma" My grandfather Lance says through the phone, he's my mother's father. After my parent's died he wanted me to live with him and my grandma Dorothy.

But I wanted to stay in Compton so I just moved in with my Aunt Dianne, speaking of her, I haven't heard from her in ages. I'm not surprise about it either, she only cares out herself, fuck everybody else.

"Papa" I sigh into the phone "His name is Tyrone and we're fine, we're just going through some things" I say playing with my ear lobe, I haven't heard from Tyrone since last night, he hasn't called or texted me, nothing.

"No y'all aren't Melanie, I can here it in yo voice child, something's wrong, you know you can come stay with me and Dorothy" He says once again. My grandparents live in Charleston, South Carolina. I'm so not trying to move down there with them. I love them and all but I feel like I would be a burden on them.

"Papa, thanks but no thanks. I'm fine right here in Compton, and if Tyrone and I don't work out I'll just get my own place" I've been saving my checks ever since I started working at McDonald's two year's back. I remember when Jay and I first got that job together, we were just starting our junior year of high school. Time sure does go by fast.

"Mel, you sure about it that? You know your father would want you down here with me and the baby too. You are his only child, he'd want you safe" He preaches to me.

"Papa please don't bring daddy into this ok? I'm going to be alright, now I have to go, I got a doctor's appointment in a hour" I say, eager to get off the phone with him. I love my grandaddy but everytime I talk to him he seems to always bring up the past. That's something I don't wanna talk about, to much memories. Stuff that I don't wanna think about, so I block the past out.

"Okay Mel, you be careful up there. I love you angel" He calls me by the nickname he gave me when I was a little girl

"I love you too Papa" With that our conversation was over. 

I sigh and stood up from the bed, putting my hair into a ponytail it was still wet from the shower I took before my granddad called. I went to my closet and grabbed my gray sweatpants that said "aeropostale" in pink letters going down the side. I swear sweatpants are the only things that fit me right now, I slide them on and then put on a pink T-shirt.

Before I could decide what shoes to put on, there was a knock at my door.

"Yo Mel" I could tell it was Devon, his New York accent is hard to miss. "I made breakfast, you want some?" He asks

"Yeah, I'll be there in a minute" I say slipping on some socks

"Ight" I could hear his footsteps walk down the hallway back to the kitchen.

Just before I left the room I looked at the beautiful ring Tyrone got me, last night when I saw it I instantly felt bad about accusing him of being in on the plan of jumping me. I was just mad and confuse, I had to blame somebody so I just picked Tyrone. I realized that I was wrong, now I got to make it right.

I set the ring back on the dresser, I didn't wanna put it on just yet. I kind of feel like I don't deserve it. Walking down the hallway to the kitchen, I could smell the aroma of pancakes, bacon, and eggs. T.j. started kicking up a storm, I guess he was hungry.

"Goodmorning Mel" Devon says as I walk into the kitchen, he hands me a plate full of food.

"Morning, thanks for the breakfast" I say grabbing a fork and sitting down in a stool at the island.

"No problem, have you heard from Ty today?" He asks with a curious look on his face

"Nope" I answer while digging into my food. I was starting to get a little worried, I know he's mad at me but he could at least call.

"Somethings not right" Devon runs his hand through his dreads

"Tyrone's fine, maybe his phone died" I said trying to convince myself that Ty was alright. But I had a iffy feeling that he wasn't.

"No, something happened I can feel it. He would've been called by now" He quickly walks to the living room. Seconds later, he started yelling my name.

"Yo Melanie come here!" I quickly got up and walked into the living room

"Wassup?" I ask wondering why the hell he called me in here

"Look at the news" He points to the television. I direct my attention to it.

"We have reported news, that the driver of a all white 2012 Charger has been shot three times while he was driving. He has been rushed to the hospital, where we are waiting to hear what condition he's in. We have no identification on this man, the only thing we can say is, he's a young black male" The news reporter says, he was saying some other stuff after that but I blocked it all out. I automatically knew it was Tyrone, but I didn't wanna believe it.

"Yo, we gotta get to the hospital!" Devon says quickly putting on his shoes and grabbing his car key's, he was halfway out the door until he noticed I wasn't going along with him.

"Melanie, come on we gotta go!" He says turning his attention toward me

"No, that's not Tyrone, that's not my baby" I say quietly. I couldn't move, I can't even begin to think about how my life would be without Tyrone.

"Mel, just please come on. We're going to go make sure it's not him" He says grabbing my hand, but I knew he was lying. I knew he knew that it was Tyrone that got shot. He was just trying to spare my feelings.

"I'm not going Devon" I jerked my hand outta his. I didn't want to see my baby laying in a hospital bed clinging to life. I sat down on the couch. "Go ahead, call me when you get there"

"But Melanie you-" he started to say but I cut him off

"Just go Devon!" The tears started streaming down my face "I don't wanna see him like that" I stated.

"He's gonna be alright Mel" His voice was cracking as if he was to cry "He's a soldier" He looks at me one last time before walking out the front door.

I buried my face into my hands and broke down into tears. This can't be happening.

----

&& CUT!!!! Lol. Thoughts on this chapter?

-Who shot Tyrone? 3 times!?!

-He gone live?

-Is Mel wrong for not going to the hospital?

-Mel gone move with ha grandparents?

Let me know how y'all feeling. Read, vote, and comment! Also checkout my collab page with Chasity @DCworks. Our book "Being with a Thug" is on pointtttttt. So you might as well go read it. Lol. Thanks guys! Much love. :*

*Demira