1. Prologue

The incessant ticking of the grandfather clock, nestled in the corner, echoed throughout the cavernous office. David Massey sat behind the colossal mahogany desk, his feet propped on top and his fingers tented under his chin. Normally, the clock's steady beat served as a means to calm him. But not today, not when he was still trying to figure out how to deal with the newest case which lay nestled between the flaps of the manila folder situated on the center of his desk.

He closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead. It wasn't that such cases hadn't crossed his desk before. It was just the near impossibility to find someone who would meet the requirements needed to do this specific job.

The intercom situated near David's foot buzzed and his secretary's voice blared from the speakers, "Mr. Massey, your three 'o clock is here."

David lowered his feet and pressed the talk button. "Send her in. Thank you, Helen."

"Right away, sir."

David stood from his desk, ran his hands down the front of his shirt, and straightened his tie. It wasn't everyday that the director paid him a visit.

The knob twisted, and with a click, the door swung open. A tall, slender woman stepped inside, her walk smooth and confident. David's eyes trailed the line of her sleek navy dress, all the way up to her shiny black hair which had been twisted neatly into a bun. Startling blue eyes met his as her hand shot out to shake his.

"Mr. Massey, it's a pleasure to meet you in person, finally."

David swallowed and took her hand in his, her grip firmer than he expected. "And you as well, Director DeLeon."

"Brenda. Call me Brenda."

"Brenda." He nodded then gestured to the comfortable chair across the desk from him. "Please, have a seat. And, call me Daivd."

"Thank you, David." Brenda smoothed her hands over the back of her dress and sat on the very edge of the chair, her legs crossed and posture straight. "I assume you know why I've asked for this conference with you?" She stared straight into his eyes, her brow raised in question.

David fought to disguise the nervousness the woman brought out in him. "The Cabello's case."

Brenda nodded and reached for the coffee cup situated in front of her, pausing before her fingers wrapped around the handle. "Is this for me?"

"Of course."

She smiled and lifted the cup to her red lips. After taking a sip and setting it down, she seemed to relax slightly, though not enough to make David feel less anxious. "Yes. Alejandro Cabello."

David sighed and leaned forward, placing his elbows on the edge of the desk. "While I understand the need to move quickly on this case, I just—I'm not sure this is the best way to go about it."

"Oh?" Brenda lifted a brow. "Do you have another suggestion—one we haven't already tried?"

"No. But ... is this really what the council feels will get us what we need? I mean, she's practically still so young."

"She's nineteen, David. Deemed an adult by every organization that's important."

"Yes, but ... our agents are much older than that."

"Not all of them."

David frowned. The only agents even close to nineteen would be those still training at the academy.

Brenda leaned forward, tapping her finger against a stack of recruit files shoved to the corner of David's desk. "I have it on good authority you have a team with an outstanding track record. The best scores in practically the entire academy."

David balked, knowing instantly whom she was talking about. "You can't be serious."

"Deadly."

He shook his head and stood, needing to move to keep his brain functioning. "That's—that's ludicrous!"

Brenda scowled and stood, keeping the palms of her hands pressed against the desktop and leaning over them. "Are you saying my children aren't good at what they do?"

David's brows rose. "No. Of course not. Alexander and Hailee are outstanding agents; it's just ... that other one." He grimaced and shook his head once more. "This is a really bad idea."

Brenda's shoulder relaxed and she stood to full height. "Mr. Mendes is, at twenty, probably the best agent we've seen at this academy. His skill is beyond anything we've witnessed in a long time."

"Yes, I agree he's a talented agent, but he's a loose cannon. Completely uncontrollable."

She leaned forward again. "But he can bring to the table exactly what we need in this particular case."

David sighed again, knowing she was right. Mendes definitely had what they needed to knock this case out, but the thought of letting him loose—with a badge no less—made David's eye twitch. A dull pain began in the center of his forehead. He reached up and rubbed it absently. "Are you sure about this?"

"It's the only way."

Letting out a slow breath, he leaned over and pressed the intercom button. "Helen?"

"Yes, Mr. Massey?"

"Could you please locate Agents DeLeons and Mendes."

"Of course, sir. Do you have a message for them?"

"Tell them ... tell them I need to see them, ASAP." He paused. "And have them bring their paperwork." He sighed, his chest squeezing uncomfortably at the prospect. "They're going on assignment."

________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: 

Hello lovelies! New fic for your depraved Shamila souls! 

Much love!