11. Breaking Point

[!] WARNING: MATURE SCENES AHEAD [!]

[!] No, seriously though, lemony mature scenes ahead! [!]

  I 'm staring at the mess I made 
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

- Parachute.  

_______________________________________________________

Electricity sparked in the air as the fresh scent of rain bore down on the city, and the previously gentle breeze turned to a swift, chilly gust. The man stood amongst the rushing crowd, his eyes trained on the arguing couple. The way their bodies gravitated toward one another, even though their words spoke of anger and pain, he could tell there was much more to both of their feelings than met the eye. Lines in the girl's face showed hurt and confusion. The boy's relayed frustration and painful self-control. Both wanted to relent, but neither would.

Not then, but soon. Very soon.

The girl thrust her finger into the boy's face and then stormed off, leaving him standing stunned and aggravated in the middle of the sidewalk. Finally, after a momentary pause, he followed after her, taking care to keep enough distance between them and avoid another showdown in the street. Soon after, the sky opened up and rain descended. Umbrellas popped up in time with each other, creating a moving cover over the sidewalk.

A chuckle worked its way up into the man's throat as he stole down the nearest alley. The whole situation amused him. The boy, used to getting what he wanted when he wanted, wanting the one girl he couldn't have. And the girl, desiring so badly to prove herself as independent and needing no one, falling for a guy whose core being sought to protect her. It was ironic and funny.

The man leaned against the cool brick building, and stood under a small awning positioned over a side entrance, keeping himself protected from the downpour. Digging into his pockets, he pulled out his cell phone and a pack of cigarettes. While dialing, he fumbled for his lighter and shook a cigarette out of the pack. He lit it and took a drag as he waited for the person on the other end to pick up.

"What?" said a woman's irritated voice.

He blew a stream of smoke from the corner of his mouth. "Don't 'what' me. Where the hell are you?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" she teased.

"Yeah, especially considering you were supposed to meet me. We have work to do."

"Chill," she said. A loud clattering sound echoed through the earpiece. "I'm working on it."

The man took another long pull and then dropped the cigarette on the ground, stamping it under his boot. "Just saw our favorite couple outside the club."

"Oh, yeah? More tippy-toeing around each other?" She snorted. "Pathetic."