24. Lies

Help, I have done it again
I have been here many times before
Hurt myself again today
And the worst part is there's no one else to blame

Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
Unfold me
I am small and needy
Warm me up
And breathe me

- Sia.

_______________________________________________

She waited on the busy sidewalk just outside the club, a flurry of snow falling around her. Loud laughter erupted from the crowd of patrons stretched out behind her, and she rolled her eyes. The club scene wasn't her thing, but he'd asked her to meet him there. Of all places, why here? The place the girl worked and the boy frequented. It was better, in her opinion, to meet somewhere neutral, but he'd insisted. They both knew the perfect couple was out of town. They'd watched them leave from the diner across the street from the apartment building, but still, what if someone recognized them here? What if somehow their presence together was leaked? The girl shook her head and cursed under her breath. This was a bad idea. They shouldn't be seen together. It was a stupid risk.

Car after car stopped at the curb, letting off the higher end club goers. She didn't understand why they came here. There were much "ritzier" clubs in the city. The girl tapped her foot and glanced at her watch. He was late. Typical. As if the fact they were meeting in public wasn't bad enough, now she was even more obvious standing out on the sidewalk by herself. Pulling out her phone, she was just about to call him when he appeared beside her.

"Hey," he said, his hands in his pockets and his shoulders hunched.

She press the off button on her phone shut and narrowed her eyes. "You're late. You said midnight, it's twelve fifteen."

He glanced down, his dark eyes meeting hers. "I got held up."

"Did you get it?"

"Of course." He grinned. "You doubted?"

She huffed and grabbed his arm. "Come on."

Pulling him forward, she made her way inside. A drunken couple plowed into them, the girl giggling and the guy struggling to hold her up amidst his own laughter. She shoved her shoulder against them, causing the guy to careen into the wall.

"Hey! Watch it," he said.

She ignored him and weaved her way through the dancing bodies. Near the back, she found an unoccupied table and sat. Her partner lowered himself into the chair across from her, a smirk affixed to his face.

She threw her bag onto the table and glared. "What?"

"You really are a bitch, you know that?"

She couldn't hold back her grin. "Shut up."