2. Impressions

A million little pieces we've broken into

A million little pieces I've stolen from you

- 30 Seconds to Mars.

______________________________________________________

The pungent scents of sweat and gunpowder hung heavy in the air. Shawn Mendes crouched low behind a cement blockade, his handgun held pointing up against his chest. He inched closer to the edge of the barrier, his head cocked to the side, listening for the slightest movement. Once satisfied there was none, he pivoted around and shot to his feet, his weapon raised and pointed out in front of him.

A wooden, human-shaped target popped up from behind another structure. Shawn squeezed the trigger, letting off several rounds and riddling the dummy with bullets before it even straightened. Several feet to his right, Bohnes stood.

"Why do you always have to be the first to shoot? Can't you ever give anyone else a chance?" he asked as he shoved his gun back into his belt.

"And why, pray tell, would I do that, Bohnes?" Shawn raised a brow at Alexander Michael "Bohnes" DeLeon while holstering his own weapon. Alexander was dubbed as Bohnes due to his skeleton-thin figure when they first entered the Institute, and the name stuck with him ever since. He shrugged. "I can't help it if you move with the speed of a dying snail. Hesitation leads to death in this occupation, and this," he swept a hand down the front of his body, "is too pretty to be cold and buried in the ground."

Bohnes rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Whatever," he muttered.

Shawn sauntered over to the target, his eyes taking in the damage he'd caused. Three to the heart and one to the head. All four, kill shots. A satisfied smirk played upon his lips as he turned from the target. "See? How can you argue with my masterful skills? Look at this perfection."

"Is it really necessary for you to be a huge bag of douche at all times?"

"Not at all times," Shawn walked over to the doors, "just when I feel I can get the most rise out of you. It makes my whole day—and sometimes tides me over well into the evening. That's my favorite."

"Can you push the reset when you leave?" Bohnes asked, ignoring Shawn's mockery. "It's the least you could do since you didn't allow me any practice shots whatsoever."

"Of course, my princess. Would you like me to set out your tiara and magic wand as well?" He gazed at Bohnes with the most innocent expression he could muster. "Wouldn't want you to strain your pretty self or mess up your manicure now would we? We know how taxing it can be to lift that big, heavy crown off your makeup table."

"Shut up, shithead! You're such an asshole!" Bohnes swore.