28. Fall From Grace

You took my hand, added a plan,
You gave me your heart.
I asked you to dance with me.
You loved honestly,
Gave what you could release.

I know in peace you'll go.
I hope relief is yours.  

- Sia.

__________________________________________________

The quiet whoosh of the heat flowing through the vents was the only sound in the room. Shawn stayed, still squatting, near the far sink, his eyes locked on Dinah. She cocked her head to the side, confusion evident on her face.

"You don't seem surprised to see me," she said.

"I'm not." Shawn shrugged. "I really hope you don't quit your day job. You're not very good at this whole secret stalker business."

Dinah grinned. Though Shawn could tell it was more out of annoyance than humor. "Yes, well, I was good enough to get this far."

"You only got this far because I allowed you to."

The smile fell from her face. "How did you know?"

Now it was Shawn's turn to smirk. "Your sweatshirt."

She raised a brow in question.

"The one with the fraternity crest. The wolf. You should probably wear different clothes in public than you do while out on your stalking duties. You never know who might be watching, or better yet, recording."

"I'll keep that in mind for next time," she said impatiently, her foot tapping the hard tile. "Stand up."

"Really? You want me to stand? Don't you enjoy having me kneeling before you, all vulnerable and helpless?"

Dinah laughed. "You're anything but helpless in any position, Agent. I know enough about you to know that. I just want you farther away from that gun strapped to your calf." She nodded toward his leg. "Now, stand up. Just keep your hands in front of you."

Shawn rose slowly, his palms up and facing outward. Bohnes's voice crackled in his ear.

"I'm sending backup."

Shawn bumped his lapel once with his arm in the signal for "no". He could handle this, no problem.

"Don't be reckless, Shawn. Wait for backup."

He ignored Bohnes's warnings in his ear. "You're pretty brave, confronting me by yourself. Either that or extremely stupid."

She glared. "I'm not afraid of you."

The barely discernible trembling of her hand revealed her lie. He nodded toward it. "Your body says otherwise. It seems to be smarter than you."