Part Three

Tyler and Josh were heading downtown for his first piano lesson. Tyler's palms were sweaty and he repeatedly kept on pulling his hand apart from Josh's to wipe it on his jeans.

"Tyler, relax, alright? Everything is gonna be just fine, I promise."

Tyler nodded, his voice was momentarily absent and he was shaking, slowing down till he came to a complete stop on the sidewalk. Josh turned around to look at Tyler who remained motionless in front of him.

"Tyler..."

Josh walked back to him and gripped him tightly in his arms. They stayed like that for a minute, never did he want this to end, never did he want to let go of the boy that stole his heart. Tyler pulled away first, kissing Josh before curving his lips in a sweet smile.

"Thank you...For being there for me."

"It's my pleasure. Now come on, let's go!" 

Tyler nodded his head and entangled his fingers with Josh's as they walked back down the street. Once they were at the door, Tyler inhaled a large breath; his only desire to remember what he once use to love. They walked inside and sat down in the waiting room until a middle aged lady came out a room and introduced herself.

"Hi, I'm Alice. I'll be your piano teacher. Is this Tyler?"

She pointed to the boy that shook with anticipation, exhilaration and attenuation; did he even like the piano? Tyler stood up and followed her into the room, turning back to ensure Josh was following. Obviously, he was two feet behind them, that alone being enough to calm Tyler down a bit.

When Tyler sat down in front of the large piano, he inhaled a sharp breath; feeling his airway getting smaller as his eyes rolled back in his head. He was gonna lose it right here, Tyler felt it inside of him. He was going to have a full blown panic attack in this exact spot. But that's when he felt his hand being moved, only to look down and catch Josh's fingers on his. He moved them towards a few keys, the melody travelling through the atmosphere.

"Woah..." It was barely audible, but Tyler's lips formed the perfect articulation as the words left his mouth.

Tyler couldn't believe it. The way his body just relaxed, all the muscles ceasing to tense up and there he sat: breathing and living. He continues to press down the keys, memories coming back to him and he feels the familiarity built within him. In the pit of his stomach, he feels the pleasure like a fire burning bright.

"Tyler, that's amazing."

"I don't know how, but I remember."

The next hour consists of Tyler playing the piano, relearning all the notes and keys and how to read music sheets, along with flashes of previous music he had once composed himself in his basement. Josh was just sitting in the back and admiring the way Tyler regained his passion for music. He was starting to act more like himself and that just brought joy to Josh. When the hour was up, Tyler thanked Alice as she showed them to the door. They booked another lesson for next week and then were on their way out.

"So? What'd you think?"

Tyler looked at Josh and brought his hands together as if he were praying before exclaiming, "It was amazing!" 

He closed his eyes and looked up at the sky: his head was tilted back and he was inhaling a large breath of the soft but cold air. He felt so alive.

"I'm happy to hear. Hey, you wanna stop at the gas station and grab a slushie?"

Tyler nodded and once again, resembled an innocent child. Josh grabbed his hand and pulled him across the street carefully then entered the store. They both got themselves a slushie, Tyler had a red one whereas Josh had a blue one. They paid and left, walking back home on a different route, one that was heading south.