Chapter 1

Dedicated to ZamTron for making me the book cover! 

Chapter 1

Beep, beep, beep. I groaned and rolled over smashing my alarm clock, effectively silencing it. I stretched in my bed, the covers and the mattress felt so comfy right now that I snuggled deeper into them.

‘’Nina! Get up! You have to get ready for school,’’ my Dad shouted.

I groaned. High school as they like to call it. Senior year, yay. Note the sarcasm. I was so not looking forward to my first day at school and starting a few weeks late didn’t help much. I grudgingly got out of bed and went for a quick shower. Now, I need an outfit. I scrutinised my closet before picking out several tank tops and putting them on. I then pulled a faded black v-neck on top and paired it with a white skirt. I pulled my hair up in a messy bun, put my glasses on and bounded downstairs.

‘’Nina! How many times do I have to tell you not to slide on the railing?’’ my Dad asked with a scowl.

‘’Good morning to you too, Daddy,’’ I replied with an eye-roll.

Both my parents then took in my outfit and raised their eyebrows. It was quite comical actually.

‘’Do I want to know?’’ asked my dad, still with raised eyebrows.

‘’Nope,’’ I replied with a pop of the ‘p’.

Mom put some pancakes in front of me and I smiled gratefully at her before digging in.

‘’Are you taking your car, honey?’’ my Mom asked.

I shook my head ‘no’. ‘’I’m taking the bus.’’

Once again both my parents raised their eyebrows but thought better than to ask me. I looked at the clock and realised I was running a tad bit late.  I gulped down the juice in a hurry before running out the house to the bus stop.

Once I got on the bus people stared at me curiously. I was the new girl, after all. I ignored them and took a seat in the middle plugging my headphones in and tuning everyone out. I was so lost in my own world that I didn’t realise we had arrived until I felt the bus stop. I looked out the window at the impending building of East View High. It was freaking huge! Probably bigger than my school back home… back home. I sighed. This was my new home and it was for the better. I got off the bus and headed towards the reception which wasn’t too hard to find. An old lady, probably in her late 60s looked up at me and smiled.

‘’Hi, I’m new.’’

‘’Ah, yes, Nina D’Von. Am I correct?’’ I frowned. She chuckled slightly which made me look at her questionably. ‘’Everyone knows there is a new student arriving so you’re quite the talk.’’ I frowned again. I did not want any attention… yet. She handed me my schedule and a map and sent me on my way. First things first: my locker.

Locker number 121. Finally finding it, I twisted the lock open after putting my combination in. I decided to leave my jacket in there so I took it off. I closed my locker and turned around only to come face to face with… Barbie?

Dirty blonde hair, grey eyes which were currently narrowed at me, designer scarf, designer top which was probably a size or two too small, a mini skirt, if you can even call it a skirt, a fake tan and 4-inch heels. Yep, definitely Barbie. I looked back up at her and she was scanning my outfit in disgust, her nose scrunching.

‘’So, new girl,’’ she sneered at me. ‘’Let me introduce myself. My name is Nicole, cheerleading captain and the girlfriend of Cole.’’ Then she took a step forward but I held my ground, clutching my schedule tightly in my hands. ‘’Let’s get one thing straight here, you do NOT talk to my friends, or my boyfriend or even look at him for that matter, you freak." Yeah, I feel sorry for the poor guy, I thought.