Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Monday, school day. I groaned. We came home late last night and so I didn’t get enough sleep, not to mention a certain green-eyed boy I couldn’t get out of my head. Shaking my head, I stumbled my way to the bathroom.

Zipping up my leather jacket and putting my helmet on, I started my bike zooming my way between traffic. As usual, the kids stared at me. I rolled my eyes at them. Hadn’t all these weeks been enough to do that already?

Jess beamed at me as I made my way to her in first period. “What has you so happy?” I asked her curiously.

“Nothing, absolutely nothing.” She shook her head at me.

“Uh-huh,” I replied unconvinced.

“Okay, fine, you got me!” Then she leaned in closer and whispered, “Not many girls can say they have Chase Evan’s number!”

Oh. So that was why she was so giddy. I rolled my eyes at her. “Are you not going to say anything?”

“I already knew this was going to happen from the minute I introduced you guys,” I told her and she blushed. Aw, they made a cute couple.

Just then the door opened and I knew who it was without having to look up. But I did anyway. Our gaze connected and we didn’t try to break it. His eyes were the same forest green eyes, if not they now had some life in them than before, one word: captivating. No surprise there…

A giggle broke me out of my thoughts and I looked over at Nicole who was… I don’t even know what she was laughing at. But seeing her was like ice being thrown over my head. Here I was thinking about how ‘captivating’ Cole’s eyes were when he already had a girlfriend to do that for him. Wait, that sounded like I was jealous. No, I was not jealous, I convinced myself. As he made his way to the back, his scent hit me and I greedily inhaled some.

Second period, Cole, me, sitting next to each other. Wow, can it get more awkward? Or maybe it was just some tension. I don’t know about him but I definitely couldn’t get yesterday out of my head.

“Are we almost done?” I asked breaking the silence. He cleared his throat.

“Yeah, um… all we have to do is go over everything.” We were almost finished with all our work and I was so proud. If you told me that Cole would be my partner for a project and that we would actually get on, a little anyway and get some work done, I would probably have laughed in that person’s face. And maybe pulled a prank on them for suggesting such a thing.

I was currently sitting next to Cammy as usual but on the other side which meant I was between the Walters twins. Ali was sitting in my original place and she and Cam were too lost in their own world. 

“You look like the dead,” Barbie sneered.

“Wow, thanks for noticing. Maybe it’s because I was partying till late last night,” I said with full sarcasm and rolled my eyes.

“Like you know how to party,” she muttered but I heard her.

“Oh I know how to party. I’ve probably been to better parties than you have,” I told her sweetly. She narrowed her eyes at me.

“How about you prove it?” I raised my eyebrows at her. “Come to my birthday party next week.” I looked at her curiously. Barbie doesn’t do anything without reason so I was looking at her trying to figure out what she was up to but her face showed nothing more than a mere challenge. I accepted. She then turned to Cole.

“Speaking of which, where were you the whole weekend?” she demanded. “I’ve been calling you since Saturday and you didn’t once pick up or reply.” I looked at Cole surprised. I thought he probably would have made some excuse as to why he was busy on Sunday but ignoring her the whole weekend? I think only I saw how Cole was trying hard not to look uncomfortable. He caught my eye and a slow smirk made its way onto my face. He realised I knew how he was feeling and that I was enjoying seeing him in this situation. I cupped my cheek and looked up at him as Barbie waited for his answer.

“Uh… uh…” he stuttered, glancing at me. “I was out with my Dad, to some construction site our business wants to take over.” Wow, smooth, real smooth Cole. Then he gave me a smirk of his own.

“Oh,” was all Barbie muttered. If I didn’t know better than I would probably believe him too.

“Nina,” Ali called getting my attention.

“Yeah?”

“There’s a race,” she started and a grin automatically made its way to my face. “At 9pm tonight.” I nodded.

“Who’s the main?” She knew what I meant; who was hardest guy to beat that was going to race today.

“Antonio,” she replied and my eyebrows went up. Antonio? The last time he raced was last year when he lost to third place in the race final.

“I’m in,” I told her biting into my sandwich. She nodded as if she already knew this was what I was going to say.

“Somebody care to explain what you two are talking about? What race?” Cam asked looking between Ali and me.

“There’s a street race, for motorbikes…” Cam motioned for to continue. She glanced at me as if asking whether she should tell them and I just shrugged. “Nina’s going to race.”

There was a beat of silence at the table. The other jocks that I usually ignore looked at me in disbelief and lust whereas, the cheerleaders scrunched their noses as if racing would damage their hair.

“Wait, hold up. You’re saying that Ninzi races? Street races? On her bike?” Cam asked astonished. We both nodded at him. The bell rang ending lunch. I got up from my seat and started to walk away but stopped and turned back round to the table. “You guys can come.” 

 AN: What can I say, I'm a bit of a race junkie! don't forget to vote! :)