Chapter 12

Chapter 12

There was a buzz in school on Monday; you could just feel it in the air. As I made my way to Calculus, I saw Jess already there and she gave me a wide smile at my entrance.

“Hey, what’s everyone excited about?”

Jess smirked. “You know Blake? Apparently there was a dysfunction with his shampoo or something.” Damn. I hadn’t seen him yet and I was dying to. I mean it was my prank after all.

“Oh yeah?” I knew there was a dysfunction with more than just his shampoo.

“Yep, and apparently his hair in… other places is also a mess.” Jess laughed and I chuckled. “But I don’t know if it’s true, I mean I just heard it from the jocks.”

“It is true,” I confirmed. “Cole was telling me about it because they saw it when he came out the shower.”

Jess raised her eyebrows. “Since when are you and Cole buddy-buddy?”

“We’re not. We’re just acquaintances.” I think I sounded a little defensive because Jess’ eyebrows totally disappeared in her bangs. I just shook my head at her in response.

As usual, Jess, Marissa and I were sitting our table at lunch which wasn’t in the middle and neither right at the back. Just then everyone fell silent. I furrowed my brows and followed their gaze to the door. My jaw dropped. Blake. He looked around the cafeteria nervously and I couldn’t keep it in anymore. I giggled slightly and that was enough to set off laughter in the entire cafeteria. Blake made a run for it as everyone continued to laugh. He can use the money he got off the poor girl for some hair therapy.

The next day started off slow. The weather was slightly chilly even though the sun was out. I was waiting for Cole to arrive in English. I looked up when the chair beside me scraped on the floor.

“Hey,” he said sitting down. My head snapped to his and I looked at him wide-eyed. Did he just say hey to me? I didn’t realise I was staring at him until he raised his trademark brow and smirked. I looked away and blushed slightly at getting caught.

“Um, hey,” I replied a little unsurely.

“So, shall we get continue from where we left off?”

Wow. He was in a good mood today. I just dumbly nodded. Halfway through, I could practically feel someone boring holes in my skull. I looked up to see Barbie giving me the death glare. Huh. What did I do now? I looked over at Cole to see he was reading my paper and was leaning over slightly. My breath caught and I forgot about Barbie who was probably ready to rip my head off by now. His cologne filled my nostrils and I could almost see every detail of his face. I snapped out of it and leaned away slightly because let’s admit, Cole wasn’t the most good-looking in the whole of West View High for no reason and I didn’t want Barbie’s wrath more than the daily dose.

The next few days passed by in a blur, uneventfully. On Thursday, I was fixing my bun in the toilet when the door banged open. I looked to see Barbie pause in the doorway to glare at me before making her way to me. I wasn’t scared of her.

“What are you doing?” she asked a little too nicely.

“What do you mean?” I answered her question with a question.

She got in my face until our noses were almost touching. “Stay. away. from. Cole.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“We’re doing a project together.” Her nostrils flared.

“You won’t like what I do to you if you don’t.”

“Yeah? Looking forward to it.” She looked at me in surprise probably because this was the first time I was responding to her, that too standing up to her. Obviously she didn’t like it one bit.