Chapter 5, The Artist

That day Marinette and Adrien were strangely quiet. They partnered without talking and ate lunch alone.

"Do you know what's up?" Nino asked Alya.

She nodded her head no. Alya wasn't the least bit disappointed. When she asked her teacher if she could do her project in Ladybug and Chat Noir she was greatly encouraged, and received a teachers pass into town, whenever she wanted.

Now that she knew that they might go to the school, she couldn't wait. All morning she was in a peppy mood.

"Alya!" The teacher snapped. "Please pay attention, or would you like to tell us an example of a covalent bond?"

"Im good," she mumbled as she returned to her work.

"Nathanael!" The teacher called. "Please take that chicken scratch to the office! Doodle on your own time!"

"But-" Nathanael started then sighed. He collected his papers and started walking.

That is until Chloé tripped him. He dropped his papers and quickly fell to the floor to gather them.

"Oh how cute," Chloé laughed. "It's a comic book, he drew himself as a superhero."

"Give it back!" He shouted reaching for the paper.

Chloé didn't stop.

"And the one he saves is Marinette! Oh look, someone actually likes you!" Chloé laughed.

"That's enough!" The teacher shouted. "Office! Now Nathanael!"

He trudged to the office.

"Please have a seat," Mr. Agreste said.

"You're not the principal," Nathanael stated.

"Such talk, perhaps this is why you were sent out of class. I'll have you know this is not tolerated in my school," he continued.

"Yes sir," Nathanael nodded.

"Now, if you wish for this to be, how should I put this," he paused. "Overlooked. I have a task for you."

"Okay."
-
"Wow! So Nathanael likes you!" Alya exclaimed in their room.

Marinette nodded.

"You don't think anything of it?" Alya asked.

"He's nice," she said.

"Hello? Marinette?! Where have you been all day?" Alya exclaimed.

"Yep," Marinette responded.

"Ugh. I'll just let you stay here and snap out of it," Alya mumbled as she left for the meal hall.

"Kay," Mari said. She really wanted to go dance with Chat Noir. But she also didn't want to get expelled.

She groaned as she wondered who it could have been. She didn't have a school pin, and whoever had it could get her expelled.

"Oh whatever," Marinette said as she lay in bed.
-
"So someone's school pin is missing," Nino said to Adrien.

Adrien laughed, "well, you know me, I'd lose my head if it weren't attached."

He couldn't believe how careless he was. He wanted to find some way to apologize to Ladybug, he wouldn't be able to keep coming now.

But that would mean not seeing her. He didn't want that.
-
That night when Alya returned she found Marinette already sleeping.

Or what she thought was sleeping anyway. Marinette was ready to go. She just wanted Alya to sleep so she could leave.

Alya waited up a bit, then she turned in.

Once Mari heard her breathing she snuck out.

When she arrived at the club Chat Noir was already there.

"I apologize, my lady," he told her.

"For what?" She asked.

"I have done something careless, that might track me down, and that means they might track you down," he sighed.

"It was you?!" Marinette asked in her head. She didn't want to do anything stupid.

"And so as an apology I bought you these," Chat said. He handed her a pair of dance sneakers. They were red and black, really nice quality shoes.

"These are for me?" She asked. "I can't accept these, they must of cost a ton!"

"It will be worth it," he smiled. "Besides, you need good dance shoes." He gestured to her ratty converse.

"Thanks," she said taking them. "I don't know how I can repay you."

"Well, you can always give me a kiss," Chat said hopefully.

"Silly kitty," Mari replied. "Are we going to dance, or just stand here?"

They did a few songs, and could have gone on, until a boy came up to them.

"You're dancing is pretty great," he said.

"Thanks," they both replied.

"However, you two are the only ones that could possibly go to the academy," he stated. "So I need to find out who you are."

"Run!" Chat Noir said grabbing her hand.

"Wait!" She protested. Looking back at the boy. She gasped when she figured out who it was.

"Nathanael?!" She exclaimed.

"You know this boy?" Chat said stopping.

"Yeah, he's really nice, surely he has a reason for this!" She explained.

"We have no time now," Chat said. "He recorded the whole thing."

"It can't be that bad," Mari sighed.

Just then Nathanael appeared with two cans of spray paint, both a shade of purple.

"Eek!" Marinette pulled Chat Noir out of the way.

The two of them ran away and split paths. Mari returned to her room and noticed she had paint on her stomach.

She tried to wash it off, with no avail. Then she realized that probably what he was trying to do.

Then if the teachers saw the paint they would know who it was.

Thankfully it was on her stomach, no one would see it.

She got some sleep that night, she was hugging the shoes that Chat have her.