Chapter 6: Heart Monitor

Derek’s POV

“So what exactly are we doing?” Ashley asked. She had her feet up on my dashboard and was tapping out a rhythm. Her head was leaning on her hand against the window as she stared at the passing scenery. I looked away before she could tell I’d been staring. “We’re going to give Scott a test run,” I told her. “Which, I’d like to point out, also counts towards our ‘training.’” I made finger quotes around the word with one hand.

She chuckled under her breath. “So basically we’re going to be playing tag and hide and go seek with him.” I nodded my head at her comparison. “Sounds like fun.” She looked over at me and smiled. A devious twinkle glinted in her blue eyes. “Shall we make this even more interesting?” she asked.

I inclined my head towards her as I turned into the parking structure. “What do you have in mind?” My eyes glanced around looking for a parking spot.

“Just a friendly little wager,” she commented. I miraculously found a spot quickly and pulled into it. “Are you sure you want to make another bet against me? If I recall, the last time we bet I happened to win,” I said, shooting a look over at her. She rolled her eyes while undoing her seatbelt. “Yeah,” she began. “But that’s only cause you cheated.” I looked at her incredulously. “What?” she questioned my expression. “You did. You totally used your werewolfness to get that dog into acting up, thus resulting in the officer to run away.”

“I resent that,” I responded to her allegations of misconduct. “Whatever,” she said climbing out. I opened my door and climbed out, meeting her at the back of the car. “Fine,” I relented. “We’ll set ground rules.” Ashley crossed her arms over her chest giving me a calculating look. “Rule #1: We can only begin the chase once Scott senses us.”

“Okay. Rule #2,” she thought for a moment. “No hindering the others attempts at capture.” She raised her eyebrows at me. I nodded. “Okay I think that’s good for rules. Agreed.”

“Agreed.” I started walking off towards the stairs. “So where exactly is this taking place?” Ashley said, following behind me. Ignoring her question I kept walking. I heard her mumbling behind me but she was doing it low enough I couldn’t pick it up even with my werewolf hearing.

When we got to the fourth floor we took up our positions and waited for Scott to show up. “How do you even know he’ll be here? You said his car wasn’t even on this level?” Ashley commented from where she was set up. I could hear her with my wolf hearing. “I don’t know. It’s some kind of instinct,” I responded. “No more talking.” She huffed. Luckily we didn’t have to wait for long. The door opened and Scott walked out. His hands were full with bags of groceries. He was walking looking around for his car. He stopped and groaned, setting his groceries down. Rooting around in his front pocket he pulled out his car keys. He pressed the button a few times, waving his arm around, waiting to hear his car beep. The beep finally came...from above him. As he looked up his bottle of milk rolled out of his bag. He looked down seeing it roll away and chased after it as it rolled under the car Ashley was behind. He sighed but then the milk rolled back towards him, leaking. She was obviously was eager to get the chase going. Scott looked up and then turned around and started running.

“And now the fun begins,” I heard Ashley whisper to herself as she took off after him. I jumped over the car in front of me following close behind. Scott was running down the parking levels trying to get away as fast as he could.

We stayed as out of sight as we could as we pursued him. He went around a corner. I passed by Ashley and came around the corner. I slowed down as I saw that Scott had disappeared from my line of vision. As I began looking around I used my other senses to find him. My hearing picked up the loud thudding of his heart. I smiled as I stared towards him.