heavy lungs

4:30pm

I couldn't breathe, that's all I could remember.

I sat in the ER bed, looking around as mass casualties are rushed in all around me. I was just there, hooked to an IV, watching people rush all around me. Nobody had come to see me ever since they brought me back, and let me tell you, sitting there choking on air wasn't any fun.

"Who's patient is this?" a doctor in pink scrubs asks. She has beautiful blonde hair and dark green eyes.

"I don't know." a doctor in red scrubs answers, checking the clipboard at the end of the bed.

"Your name is Ana?" he questions, looking up at me. I nod my head, unable to speak due to my breathing issues.

"Alright, were gonna give you a quick checkup." he says, handing the clipboard to the woman. "Check her breathing, run some scans, see what's going on."

I sit up straight, waiting for her to walk over to me. I know how exams go, they put the stethoscope on your back, chest, etc.; they were always boring.

"Take a deep breath please." she says sweetly, placing the cold stethoscope against my bare skin. I breathe deeply.

"Again, please." she murmurs, placing it on my back. I breathe deeply again.

She scribbles something down onto the clipboard, wrapping the stethoscope around her shoulders.

"Alright, from the sounds of it, it's nothing major. Just asthma." she tells me, scribbling onto a piece of paper. "I'm going to go to the pharmacy and get you some medicine to ease the pain, and of course an inhaler." I nod in understanding.

She disappears around the corner, leaving me alone. I wish Harry was here, maybe then it wouldn't suck as bad.

Harry's sister was getting married, and I told him I didn't want to attend because I wasn't familiar with his family and was uncomfortable. He understood and took off yesterday.

I swing my legs slowly, looking around as other patients are wheeled to get X-Rays. Not many people were left here, the majority of them most likely taking up the operating rooms.

The doctor returns, handing me a few medicines and smiling at me.

"You're good to go, just come back in a week and we'll be sure to check you out to make sure everything is working smoothly." I nod.

She removes the IV from my hand, handing me the bag they made me put all my belongings in, I'm assuming to keep everything sterile.

I snuck into the bathroom, changing into my shorts and tee. I comb my fingers through my hair, braiding it to the side and stepping out. She takes the bag from me, throwing it into a waste bin. I wave goodbye, leaving the ER.

I didn't mention the fact that the male doctor had mentioned running scans, but I assumed she hadn't felt the need. I quickly dropped it, deciding I'd rather be home anyways. 

I went home that night and still had a sort of stinging feeling in my chest, one that just wouldn't disappear. I had taken all of the medicine she prescribed, even a little more than I should have. I paired it with an Aleve, and eventually the pain subsided.

//

This chapter is really short, but whatever. This is the start of the main plot of the story. But does she really have asthma? Hmm. And does that Doctor really know what she's doing? :-)

-J